New cannister filter causing problems.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maff

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Aquaone 850 developed a fault and had to be replaced with a new filter. This is a 150 liter tank with temperate water fish, 8 fish and well established bio filter, PH 7.2 22C room temperature water.
I transfered my bio media to the new filter but couldn't transfer my sponges from the mechanical filter because they were the wrong type for the new cannister, this new one is an Aquis 1050 series II.
Monitered closely for two days, ammonium levels normal, nitrates normal but nitrites started to creep above 0.5ppm so did a 50% water change and got levels below 0.25ppm. 24 hours later nitrites jumped to 1ppm so did 75% water change and normal again. This morning 0.75ppm again so did 50% water change. Normal now but expecting more increases in next few days. Ammonia always tests 0%. Keep adding aqua bioball bacteria and its improving very slowly.
Was my entire nitrite bacteria in the sponges that weren't swapped over? Why is my ammonia bacteria fine but my nitrite bacteria seems to have been wiped out?
Thanks.

My Aquaone 850 developed a fault and had to be replaced with a new filter. This is a 150 liter tank with temperate water fish, 8 fish and well established bio filter, PH 7.2 22C room temperature water.
I transfered my bio media to the new filter but couldn't transfer my sponges from the mechanical filter because they were the wrong type for the new cannister, this new one is an Aquis 1050 series II.
Monitered closely for two days, ammonium levels normal, nitrates normal but nitrites started to creep above 0.5ppm so did a 50% water change and got levels below 0.25ppm. 24 hours later nitrites jumped to 1ppm so did 75% water change and normal again. This morning 0.75ppm again so did 50% water change. Normal now but expecting more increases in next few days. Ammonia always tests 0%. Keep adding aqua bioball bacteria and its improving very slowly.
Was my entire nitrite bacteria in the sponges that weren't swapped over? Why is my ammonia bacteria fine but my nitrite bacteria seems to have been wiped out?
Thanks.
Hello Maff. A 150 liter tank isn't all that big, so keep up with the frequent, large water changes. The good bacteria lives on all the surfaces inside the tank, so they're now growing to keep up with the nitrogen in the water. Yes, you lost some in the filtration material, but the bacteria will be replaced very quickly. Limit the amount you feed until you get the nitrogen under control. As long as you replace half the water every few days, your fish should be fine.

10 Tanks

Hello Maff. A 150 liter tank isn't all that big, so keep up with the frequent, large water changes. The good bacteria lives on all the surfaces inside the tank, so they're now growing to keep up with the nitrogen in the water. Yes, you lost some in the filtration material, but the bacteria will be replaced very quickly. Limit the amount you feed until you get the nitrogen under control. As long as you replace half the water every few days, your fish should be fine.

10 Tanks
Thanks, yes I seem to have lost quite a bit of the bacteria which keeps the nitrites down in the swap. So my sintered glass noodles I swapped over from my other filter must contain the bacteria that keeps ammonia down because my ammonia is 0%. The other type which keeps nitrites down must have been in the sponges and the old filter surfaces. Maybe I should have kept the old sponges and put those in the baskets of the new filter. That might have been a less reduction.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back