New blood parrot cichlids hiding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Goosegrl2019

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it will b before my 2 new baby blood parrots will come out of hiding?? I read this is normal but I'm a bit impatient lol. They swam around together for the first hour & then hid for 24 hours after quickly coming out for food. They only come out for food if I'm nowhere near the tank & if I'm not moving. They r so cute. The tank is in my livingroom so it's very hard not to have movement so hopefully they get used to it. Thanks!!

What sized tank and what are your water readings.

It should only be a few days in a properly set up tank.

Hi Metalhead88, my water is normal w the exception of the hardness being high. I was wonder what ppl experienced w blood parrots as far as when they r still babies. These r two months old. If I turn livingroom lights out & tank lights off they will come out :) ( I got them sat night)

Hi Metalhead88, my water is normal w the exception of the hardness being high. I was wonder what ppl experienced w blood parrots as far as when they r still babies. These r two months old. If I turn livingroom lights out & tank lights off they will come out :) ( I got them sat night)
Please post exact numbers.

Hiding can be a sign of stress....and a new home can certainly do it.

When I got my blood parrot he was about 1.5 inches and has been active since the second I brought him home. They are very active and personable.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

When I got my blood parrot he was about 1.5 inches and has been active since the second I brought him home. They are very active and personable.

Awwww I wish mine were active w the light on. I do notice they come out if I turn the tank light off so that's good. I tested tonite & my nitrite
went from 0 two days ago to 1.0 tonite. I did a 30% water change & here r my current numbers:
Ammonia .5
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 1.0
Alkalinity 120
Ph 7.8
Nothing changed w water change

Also, did u have other fish in the tank?? These r alone in there til sat & I may get a few tiger barbs. I have 2 nerite snails, & 2 mystery snails in the tank w the 2 parrot babies

Awwww I wish mine were active w the light on. I do notice they come out if I turn the tank light off so that's good. I tested tonite & my nitrite
went from 0 two days ago to 1.0 tonite. I did a 30% water change & here r my current numbers:
Ammonia .5
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 1.0
Alkalinity 120
Ph 7.8
Nothing changed w water change
Your readings show a tank that is not cycled. Do not add more fish. Cichlids are extremely sensitive to ammonia. So this must be taken care of right away.

How long has this tank been set up?
What other fish are in it?
What size tank is this?

When I added my parot, it was added to a tank with a salvini and Raphael catfish.

Your readings show a tank that is not cycled. Do not add more fish. Cichlids are extremely sensitive to ammonia. So this must be taken care of right away.

How long has this tank been set up?
What other fish are in it?
What size tank is this?

When I added my parot, it was added to a tank with a salvini and Raphael catfish.

Ok cool, I was sure it was cycled due to the fact that ammonia & nitrate, nitrite have been 0 til today. I have been heavy handed w the food a bit because I wanted to b sure they were eating so...2 days ago my reading were different. I added quick start & fish food to get it goin about two weeks ago. No other fish, just 2 nirite snails & 2 mystery snails in the tank.

Ok cool, I was sure it was cycled due to the fact that ammonia & nitrate, nitrite have been 0 til today. I have been heavy handed w the food a bit because I wanted to b sure they were eating so...2 days ago my reading were different. I added quick start & fish food to get it goin about two weeks ago. No other fish, just 2 nirite snails & 2 mystery snails in the tank.
If ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are all zero....your tank has not even began to cycle. Once you added an ammonia source (fish), it will now start. It is highly recommended to not use fish to cycle a tank and especially ones that are sensitive to ammonia.

What you want is zero ammonia and nitrite and a nitrate reading.

You still haven't answered some of my questions. What size tank? How long has this tank been set up?

Also, how did you cycle the tank?

Once you provide the information needed we can help you out.

Just an update, my blood parrots r doing great & it took a while for them to come out of hiding except to eat. This is normal from what I have read. I tricked them into coming out longer w brine shrimp since it takes a few minutes to eat. They became more comfortable coming out & now are out more than in but run back to their hiding spot if spooked. One attacks me when I clean the tank it's cute!! Love them!! Thank u for all of the awesome info!!

I just wanted anyone else looking for info about blood parrots hiding in new tank to know that it's normal behavior. Some people get lucky I suppose but most hide like crazy. There's really nothing u can do but wait, it's worth it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back