New At Fish World

lifeisgood1023

Reaction score
Plz I need help bought a new fish tank for my daughter 5g has two 15g filters gravel filter carbon n regular Bio filter four glow in dark plants n a small cave for the Pleco she had four glow fish 6 neon two pleco n 8 ghost shrimps everything was done to da.store instructions bought da water tester everything is safe n now I have to keep replacing her fishes before she notice der dying so she wont cry its becoming to expensive. And I don't noe why but dey keep dying now der only two glow fish one neon n two pleco. Went to da fish store had my money refunded for all of da purchase since my tank n fishes were tested n all was good plz help der slowy dying n I'm affraid my daughter gana find out I can takes pictures if dat will help plaza just any advice .will be helpful n appreciated

You need to take the plecos back immediately. They get huge very quickly! You also added too many fish too quickly. It sounds as though you did not cycle the tank, so the filter was not stable enough to handle your fish. They essentially died from ammonia poisoning. A five gallon tank is suitable for no fish besides shrimp or a betta.

Attibones got it right. You see when you dont cycle a tank all the fish poop turns into ammonoa woth is deadly to fish. In a cycled tank however if cycled correctly the bacteria established in the tank will the the ammonia turning it into nitrites which is also deadly to fish. Finally theres another bacteria which turns nitrites into nitrates whoch isnt as deadly but can be once it builds up this is why we do water changes. (i might have gotton nitrite and nitrate mixed up sorry :/)
Return the 5gallon and get a 10 gallon which is much better suited. And re turn the pleco like the poster above me said it will grow over a foot and you wont be able to get rid of it.

I wouldn't even recommend a 10gal. Get a 20gal or bigger.

I just replied to you on the other post. Basically, return all your fish and get a bigger tank. Then cycle the filter by following the instructions here.

Thank u guys for all the help well I do have Abig tank from wen I had my python looks as big as the. One of that pic I think 100 or more g but what would I need to make it sutable for fish really want my dauther to have her fish

Here are da pic I was actually trying to sell since I sold my snake bout a month ago but guess now I got use for it

Pics

I'm not seeing any pictures, but essentially, you would need to measure the tank for its dimensions and calculate the volume of the tank (use the calculator tab available at the top menu for this website). Then, depending on the amount of gallons, you would need an appropriate size filter. One or two hang-on-back filters will do. You will need a heater suited for your size aquarium. A bottle of household ammonia, something to remove chlorine from your water, and a suitable tank hood (can be found on amazon or eBay for cheap) with light fixtures should be all you need. You'll need to clean out the snake aquarium very well, too. Just be sure to use only warm water or a water/vinegar solution. Also, be sure you have an appropriate stand. Ten pounds per US gallons is the general rule (I'm not sure how to apply this to litres, if that is your system of measurement).

attibones said:
 Also, be sure you have an appropriate stand. Ten pounds per US gallons is the general rule (I'm not sure how to apply this to litres, if that is your system of measurement).

I believe the rule with litres is that one litre of water weighs roughly 1kg. This is without the weight of  the tank itself, any decorations etc.

The advice the others have given is correct. A bigger tank will certainly give your fish a much more comfortable home in the long term, but they're dying from ammonia poisoning because the tank is uncycled, which means they're not going to last until the long term.

Unfortunately fishless cycling is a long, boring process, whereas fish-in cycling is a long, arduous process of hard work which is cruel to the fish. Cycling is not fun, but the end result is that you have happy, healthy fish that don't die all the time :)

There's plenty of info on this forum about cycling, though do feel free to ask if there's anything you're unsure of.

I can't add anything useful to the advice you've been given above, which is IMO truly excellent.

So instead, can I be nosey? I play this game whereby if the poster hasn't given their location in their profile, I try to guess it. Sad, I know, but hey, anything's better than working.... Anyway, are you from the deep south of the USA?

Couldn't have dry pop up so I put it as defoult do u guys think its good for da fishes idle if it water safe had it for bout 7 yrs with da pythons n no n yes I was born in PR raised in Louisiana. New Orleans.

It will work for fish. Just fill it with water slowly to be sure that it holds water.

Most reactions

Back