New Apple Snails

Does anyone keep brigs and spixis toogether?

thats a very good price for them, i sold 5 babys for that on ebay lately. :hyper:

i keep spixi and brigs together with no problems at all, spixis like to bury in the substrate so cute

sharon

Ahh so that was you, I was gonna buy from you as well but this guy kinda owed me a favour.I had just read that brigs and spixis ate each others babies.How active are the spixis?

One other thing do you think a gold nugget pl*co would eat baby snails?

spixis arnt as active as the brigs, they spend alot of the time digging in the substrate, dont get me wrong you do see them out and about too.

as for eating each others babys i see no evidence of this at all , i have spixi and brigs in my main tank and also breeding tank.
the shrimp tank has spixi and ramshorms also with no problems.

im not sure about plecs eating snails i have a pair of bristlenoses in my main tank with my breeding spixis they dont eat the eggs and i have plenty of young in there, i have never seen them eat snails but they do like to clean there shells once in a while

sharon

Ok thanks, I know the mango and bristlenoses I have wont be a threat to my snails and im 90% sure my nugget wont be either.

Tonights the big tank makeover, just moving the last of my cichlids out into the big tank leaving my pl*cos, corys and lemon tetras(the tetras might be getting rehomed too).Then i'll move in the brigs, spixis, 2 amano shrimp and 4 ottos.I'm also changing the substrate from yellow pool filter sand to black fine grain gravel.

Oh and my 2 gold apple snails are male and female cos they have been going at it all morning :lol:

Does anyone keep brigs and spixis toogether?

thats a very good price for them, i sold 5 babys for that on ebay lately. :hyper:

i keep spixi and brigs together with no problems at all, spixis like to bury in the substrate so cute

sharon

Ahh so that was you, I was gonna buy from you as well but this guy kinda owed me a favour.I had just read that brigs and spixis ate each others babies.How active are the spixis?

One other thing do you think a gold nugget pl*co would eat baby snails?

spixis arnt as active as the brigs, they spend alot of the time digging in the substrate, dont get me wrong you do see them out and about too.

as for eating each others babys i see no evidence of this at all , i have spixi and brigs in my main tank and also breeding tank.
the shrimp tank has spixi and ramshorms also with no problems.

im not sure about plecs eating snails i have a pair of bristlenoses in my main tank with my breeding spixis they dont eat the eggs and i have plenty of young in there, i have never seen them eat snails but they do like to clean there shells once in a while

sharon

Ok thanks, I know the mango and bristlenoses I have wont be a threat to my snails and im 90% sure my nugget wont be either.

Tonights the big tank makeover, just moving the last of my cichlids out into the big tank leaving my pl*cos, corys and lemon tetras(the tetras might be getting rehomed too).Then i'll move in the brigs, spixis, 2 amano shrimp and 4 ottos.I'm also changing the substrate from yellow pool filter sand to black fine grain gravel.

Oh and my 2 gold apple snails are male and female cos they have been going at it all morning :lol:

hahaha wont be long before the babys are coming

waiting for some pics

sharon

Ok heres some pics, the golds have been in for a night and the rest were added this morning.the pl*cos have been interested in them but other than pushing them out of the way of food dont seem to bother them.I'll add my 2 amano shrimp from my nano tank later to see if they will leave shrimp alone as I want to try breeding cherrys in this tank too.Can anyone suggest a good way of feeding them so they all get food but dont have to fight over it.I was thinking about attatching veggies to the top of that stump in the middle as my pl*cos are too lazy to go up for it and would rather eat off the gravel.Also the snails shell condition is not so great is there anything I can add to improve it.The ph wont go below 7.0 and i'll be feeding reptomin.

DSC02414.jpg

DSC02417.jpg

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

Snails innocently eating an algae wafer...
DSC02421.jpg

Mango plans his attack...
DSC02422.jpg

Steeeeeeeeerike
DSC02423.jpg

Snail "love"(watched by pervs).
DSC02426.jpg

Nice tank and snails. Couldn't tell from the pic, but you might want to lower the water level a few inches so they have space to lay eggs. Unless there's already somewhere above the water to lay eggs.

Nice tank and snails. Couldn't tell from the pic, but you might want to lower the water level a few inches so they have space to lay eggs. Unless there's already somewhere above the water to lay eggs.

Yeh they have plenty of space in the hood, I have blocked up any escape routes too.

lovely pictures there.

i add liquid calcium and have just got some marine turbo calcium to try

but imo once the shells have been damaged there is nothing you can do

i add the calcium so any new shell growth will be strong.

but good calcium rich vegies help too.

get a seeweed clip heres some on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seaweed-Lettuce-Clip...VQQcmdZViewItem

these are great for clipping foods up high

sharon

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup i'll grab a veg clip next time im in the lfs.What veggies are high in calcium?I'm also gonna use one of those feeding rings to feed reptomin in.Does adding liquid calcium mess with ph/harness?

Thanks shaz :)

My spixis arrived today and I got 10 for the price of 6!!! Cool little guys they look like the stripey snails I get in my garden.Its a pity they are not very active during the day.

Yeh they have plenty of space in the hood, I have blocked up any escape routes too.

May i ask how you blocked the escape routes? My snail sometime do give me headache. Any pics?

yes they arnt as active as the brigs but they are lovely.

dingweding i used tape where i can on blocking up ecsape roots

Actually my spixis have been pretty active(they love mating thats fo sho).They only spend short periods of time buried and then are off again looking for food.They are slower than the brigs though.

dingweding, its hard to describe but I have a wooden hood with only a gap about 2.5" along the back that the snails could escape from(very small ones might be able to get out where the filter pipes come in/out).To cover the gap I stapled a 3" strip of plastic mesh along it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back