What's new

New Apisto acquisition. Bitaeniata

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Cydeth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I picked this guy up on Saturday along with a female that he is very bonded with. They've already picked out their hide and are beginning to explore and make themselves visible to the big ugly thing on the outside of their tank.

This was the first time the male really came out to feed. He is taking some Tetra micro granules quite eagerly, and I also saw the female doing the same.

The female is currently more nervous so I haven't got a good picture of her, but she is colouring up nicely and I'll try to grab a shot at some point.

I'm not sure how common these guys are in the UK, I know I've not seen them readily for sale though. At £12 for the pair I couldn't really refuse them.

Apistogramma Bitaeniata

Attachments

• B9A0A34E-F4A8-45EA-A0B3-6EEF75C138D0.jpeg
    B9A0A34E-F4A8-45EA-A0B3-6EEF75C138D0.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 168
Gorgeous!

It's funny to me ho long it takes some apistos to feel comfortable. I feel like it rams .3 seconds to get comfortable. Whereas my A. Cacatouides had a massive tank adjustment made (removed fish, completely rearranged decor) on Friday night and they are still sulking/hiding when I am around. Prior to the adjustment made, they did not hide from me and would come to the surface to eat.

Gorgeous!

It's funny to me ho long it takes some apistos to feel comfortable. I feel like it rams .3 seconds to get comfortable. Whereas my A. Cacatouides had a massive tank adjustment made (removed fish, completely rearranged decor) on Friday night and they are still sulking/hiding when I am around. Prior to the adjustment made, they did not hide from me and would come to the surface to eat.

It took a full 2 days for these to feel at home, they don't even seem scared of me anymore... until I put the camera near them.

They've taken some Tetra granules and some dried daphnia so far, which I'm pleased about. They were only being fed flake at the place I got them so it's good to see they will take a variety of foods.

I've seen the male dancing around the female trying to show off for her, so that's another good sign for me.

This isn't the best picture, but it's the best I've been able to take of the female. She's confident in the tank but likes to run from the camera... She'll never make it as an Instagram model.

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_171939.jpg
    IMG_20210528_171939.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 114
There are definite signs of breeding behaviour from my pair, which I wasn't really expecting so soon after buying them. Not that I'm complaining.

The tank is stocked with the pair of apistos, 6 juvenile kuhli and 10 beckford pencil fish and my female apisto has become quite aggressively possessive of one particular hide.

That hide obviously had to be the one I temporarily placed while an anubias attached, but oh well.

Any time anything comes close she is quickly, and aggressively, chasing them away. There have been no injuries but the other fish are learning to steer clear of the kill zone.

The pair of apistos have been dancing together a lot and the female was doing her best to lure the male into her hide, although if he didn't approach quickly enough she seemed to get annoyed and chase him around the tank, then try again.

That has been going on for a couple of days and her aggression towards the male seems to be fading and he is being allowed to approach slowly and enter the hide with her.

The hide is placed so I can't see in there to see what's going on and check for eggs, but I'm very encouraged by the things I'm seeing. Hopefully they will be successful, but if not this time I'm sure it won't be too long.

Let's be honest, you can't really blame the lad for being nervous of a sexually aggressive female... Yikes

I think this is a better picture of the female, she's almost orange in places. Very pretty little fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_203303.jpg
    IMG_20210601_203303.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 93
We have eggs, and plenty of them.

I have no idea if the male has done his job but the female certainly has, her hide is covered in tiny pink eggs and she is doing a fantastic job of defending the area.

I was actually concerned about her, I hadn't seen her for a couple of days. I caught a glimpse of her this evening just before the lights went off and there was just enough time to see her work.

If I see fry I'll try to get some pictures and update this thread.

I've noticed the same with my Cockatoo's. I would have never guess they successfully bred if I had not seen the fry in person.

Congratulations!
Thank you.

It's exciting isn't it. I've kept many different species of fish over the years but it's always exciting to see eggs or fry, even if breeding isn't the outcome you were aiming for.

I know you were going into your project with the intention of breeding but I'm sure you will of also felt that child like excitement when you saw their success.

Happy fish, happy fish keepers.

Thank you.

It's exciting isn't it. I've kept many different species of fish over the years but it's always exciting to see eggs or fry, even if breeding isn't the outcome you were aiming for.

I know you were going into your project with the intention of breeding but I'm sure you will of also felt that child like excitement when you saw their success.

Happy fish, happy fish keepers.
For sure!

Got any fry pics? I love to watch them develop!

For sure!

Got any fry pics? I love to watch them develop!
Not this time, unfortunately. I don't think the male played his part, but they seem to be far more settled now so I'm hoping that future attempts will be more successful.

I've got a pair of macmasteri that also may be providing fry at some point in the near future, the female has gone into hiding after showing all the signs of being ready. That male is acting like a puppy, following her around.

Now I can't decide whether I like these or your other pair better! both lovely colours in their own way. Those fin shapes apistos have are always eye catching though. I think she'd make a fantastic Instagram model! If she weren't camera shy of course...

Please do keep updating on both pairs. They've both tried, it's only a matter of time and patience now until we get those fry pics!

Also agree that it's still always exciting to see fry, even when you didn't plan for them. With the possible exception of livebearers. I've definitely reached a point where spotting newborn livebearers elicts a groan rather than "awww!"

Now I can't decide whether I like these or your other pair better! both lovely colours in their own way. Those fin shapes apistos have are always eye catching though. I think she'd make a fantastic Instagram model! If she weren't camera shy of course...

Please do keep updating on both pairs. They've both tried, it's only a matter of time and patience now until we get those fry pics!

Also agree that it's still always exciting to see fry, even when you didn't plan for them. With the possible exception of livebearers. I've definitely reached a point where spotting newborn livebearers elicts a groan rather than "awww!"
It is hard to choose between them for sure, I think they are both beautiful in their own way.

She is getting better in front of the camera now, I guess I don't scare her as much as I used to. I think it is also helped by the fact that the bond with the male is now far stronger and they are often found swimming close by each other.

I do my best to avoid live bearers for the exact reason you mention, I've really not got the patience for all those babies. I envy those that do, it's just never going to be me. I do keep some male guppies, platies and mollies though... they were given to me.

I've got eggs in this tank again, and the female is in her bright yellow kill bill outfit attacking anything that comes near. Once more I'm not sure if the male has done his job as he is currently hiding behind the filter, seemingly in an attempt to escape the wrath of the female.

Once again I'll hope for the best but expect a failed attempt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back