New 7 Gallon Bookshelf Tank..

dzsigmond217

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all!! Very excited about my new tank! I have an established 29 gallon tank and am unsure how to transfer the media/water in the new tank? Can I just use the tank water or should I also use some media? I also bought a very beautiful golden crowned betta for the tank. I wanted to also put a couple of neon tetras or zebra danios with him. I've had neon tetras with bettas before and they were fine together but I don't know about the zebra danios. I heard they can be a might nippy. Any advice on the compatibility of these fish and directions on how to set up the new tank is greatly appreciated!!! :lol:
Thanks so much
Dianne

Since there is little to no bacteria in the actual water it would be a good idea to transfer some of your filter media over to the new tank - even if you just cut a third of a piece of sponge off and place it in the new filter. This should be fine and well able to cope with the bioload of a betta (you could also transfer some of your gravel over - it might help a little).
I would say no to the danios because they are a very active fish and need their swimming space. Even though they are small, a 7 gallon is just too small. Also, overly active fish tend to stress bettas out. Really, male bettas like to be on their own because every fish tends to be nippy around them - they just can't resist their long flowing tail. Try the neons, keep and eye on them and be prepared to take them back if need be.
You could also do a single male bettas with a few - maybe 3 or 4 - otos and and apple snail. I think that would be a very nice little tank! HTH.
-Larissa

Most reactions

Back