New 45L Hex

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yes another tank already I know ha, its a 45L hexagon tank and just a few questions to ask due to the different shape of the tank.... oh and I'm gettin a fully established filter so cycling shouldn't be too long at all.

1) not really set on what fish to get yet, I'd like an attractive community tank with some reasonably sized fish (when I say reasonably sized I mean not large or small ha) but I am also interested on breeding any ideas?

2) interested in keeping plants as they are much more attractive than artificial, but I don't wanna go down the co2 route and I'm a noob when it comes to plants so any particular plants you'd recommend? Also I know some plants are useful when breeding any in particular?

Cheers in advance if I think of any questions later I will post on here,
Liam

2) interested in keeping plants as they are much more attractive than artificial, but I don't wanna go down the co2 route and I'm a noob when it comes to plants so any particular plants you'd recommend? Also I know some plants are useful when breeding any in particular?
Liam

anubias, java ferns, java moss, and duckweed are some of the easiest plants to care for.

duckweed is a floating plant by the way. you could make a great looking tank simply out of those 4 plants.

With the duckweed, yes just add it and watch it spread,you'l only need an egg cup full. Java fern and Anubias are easy as pie, just remember not to 'plant' them into the substrate they need tying or supergluing onto wood or rocks. Moss is just the same, I glued mine on as my water is too hard for it to attach by itself. Another easy one is bolbitis which you'd treat just the same as the Java fern.

Went to the lfs today and they have figure 8 puffers. They looked awesome. The lfs said they are fine in freahwater. Ive read this is true however they prefer brackish conditions. Would these be ok in a 45l freshwater tank?

Went to the lfs today and they have figure 8 puffers. They looked awesome. The lfs said they are fine in freahwater. Ive read this is true however they prefer brackish conditions. Would these be ok in a 45l freshwater tank?
Your tank is too small for them IMO. And they are brackish fish

Ok I've heard they were freshwater and brackish would do more harm than good, would dwarf suffers be suited I've heard the,same about them or is this incorrect?

Ok I've heard they were freshwater and brackish would do more harm than good, would dwarf suffers be suited I've heard the,same about them or is this incorrect?
My opinion is that F8 puffers are brackish and maybe marine. I would ask Neale Monks 'nmonks' for confirmation as he is an expert in brackish fish. Dwarf Puffers are definitely freshwater though. :good:

Cheers carllove1, I will contact him ASAP

i will soon have a moving bed filter with k1 media which removes ammonia and nitrItes so once the bacteria is established is the taNk ready? Also could somebody help me with fish which would be suited to this tank as I have obtained quite a lot of mixed messages, overstocking via excrement wise I am not concerned due to the filer running aswell as the moving bed filter, I just want to meet the spacing requirements of whatever species are stocked....
So if anyone could recommend some attractive and unusual fish which are suited it would beuch appreciated

Angels?

I've just moved from a cylinder tank, in all honesty, they aren't ideal!

Yes I understand however I was looking around and I got an unbelievable deal for the 45L hex with filter heater and substrate, what did you stock

I had dwarf rainbows, rummynoses and a dwarf gourami. Tetra's aren't ideal as they need swimming space. Mine just used to swim around the inside of the wall in circles lol Others weren't so bad.

If i was going to keep the tank, i'd probably go with angel stocking.

Might have to go with angels then and maybe a few fish which are deemed to be fine with angels aslong as they arent too big or active for the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back