New 180l Tank

Rickster

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kingswinford (West Midlands)
Hi,


Have just brought a 180l tank (jewel rio 180). Asked about air pumnp on here, now need to know about stocking it. I have a Fluval 90l tank at the moment, in which I have 3 danios, 2 cherry barbs, 2 sucker loaches, 1 red tail shark, and 2 clown loaches which I got with the new tank. Any advice as to what other fish I could stock, to add to the fish listed above? I have read on the forum regarding the clown loaches needing more space? at the moment they are approx 2.5-3 inches, will they need to go eventually? and where would I take them?


Many thanks.
 
Hi,


Have just brought a 180l tank (jewel rio 180). Asked about air pumnp on here, now need to know about stocking it. I have a Fluval 90l tank at the moment, in which I have 3 danios, 2 cherry barbs, 2 sucker loaches, 1 red tail shark, and 2 clown loaches which I got with the new tank. Any advice as to what other fish I could stock, to add to the fish listed above? I have read on the forum regarding the clown loaches needing more space? at the moment they are approx 2.5-3 inches, will they need to go eventually? and where would I take them?


Many thanks.

Danios should really be in groups of 6 or more from what I have read, same applies to the barbs. Both are relatively cheap fish to source so if you are serious about keeping them that would be the first move I would make. I have bought several second hand tanks a few with fish and re-balancing them to accepted stocking levels has always been my first priority.

Suckers can grow big quickly red tails and clowns need a reasonble amount of room, if you have a 3ft then I think that is at the minimum of what you would want for clowns.

What type of filter do you have on this tank? as that can make a difference. What size are the fish (loaches and shark) listed above?

With that you may have little room left for additions and if you decide to get the groups up I would do that fisrt and watch your tank stats to ensure they ar staying stable.

Then consider adding a few extra fish if your filtration is up to it (I have bought over filtered tanks and under filtered ones) gouramis, guppies, Rasboras maybe.

I am nowhere as experienced as others on this forum so feel free to wait for comments from those with a better knowledge who might contradict what I have said.

StatMan

StatMan
 
Thanks StatMan, The loaches are about 2" and 3" respectively, the shark about 3" as well. The filtration is the standard one that comes with the Juwel Rio 180. I may well up the groups of the danios etc, I was possibly looking at a shrimp as well, I will also wait and see any other comments I get, thanks again.


Rickster
 

Most reactions

Back
Top