New 130 Gallon Tank Newly Cycled What Fish To Get....?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wanda hornsey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have m tank set up and its cycled all ok next weekend I am going to start stocking it up...what fish would you add???

I only ask so that i can get some new ideas of what would work and of course hear what wont....I have been reading up on fish likes and dislikes etc.

I would like a couple of small pleco (not necessarily the same ) so will be going to Wholesale Aquatics in Betnal Green Road London as understand they have a great variety to choose from. :)

so lets hear you :D

edited to add: I will keep the bacteria going with ammonia by the way...cant get fish till after payday :)

If i was setting up another 6x2 tank I would possibly be looking along the lines of a planted setup with 500 cardinal tetra, 5-6 plecos and maybe some dwarf cichlids.

Ben

the tank is 48" long 28" deep so planting is going to be a trial to say the least as its hard to actually reach the bottom of the tank at all :lol: I do have plenty of bog wood cos it so attractive to look at
FishPics041.jpg

Love the idea of that many tetra but would possibly like more variety (there is a tank a bit like what you fancy at Wildwoods (enfield nr London)

how about a school of 12 or so red hooks Myleus rubripinnis
I see Terry has some in stock

I've seen the tank you mention at Wildwoods, looks quite good.

Red Hooks or Silver Dollars would work well, but obviously this means no plants (whether this is a bonus or not depends on your p.o.v.).

Something else i'd like to see in a big tank is a big school of Debauwi Glass Catfish. I have 6 in my tank and they're great. A school of 24 would look awesome to occupy the top of your tank.

Or you could just make it an oddball community (forget oscars or arrowanas, there are plenty of much more interesting and entertaining fish!)

Ben

the tank is 48" long 28" deep so planting is going to be a trial to say the least as its hard to actually reach the bottom of the tank at all :lol: I do have plenty of bog wood cos it so attractive to look at
FishPics041.jpg

Love the idea of that many tetra but would possibly like more variety (there is a tank a bit like what you fancy at Wildwoods (enfield nr London)

Oooooo, you have sand, get firemouths! Though you would have to get a few hardy plants, but c'mon get a ladder and get your arms wet! All that driftwood all naked in the water and no anubias or java ferns to keep them warm. You know you want to. :lol:

I am sure you can get a planting fork thingy for taller tanks (or less tall tank owners!).

*goes for a swatch*

Hmmm can't see what I mean. Maybe a dreamt it...

I have m tank set up and its cycled all ok next weekend I am going to start stocking it up...what fish would you add???

How long did your cycle take.. mines taking ages.. Didn'y you only start it 10 days ago, or am i confused..? makes me wonder what im doing wrong :(

Squid

I only ask so that i can get some new ideas of what would work and of course hear what wont....I have been reading up on fish likes and dislikes etc.

I would like a couple of small pleco (not necessarily the same ) so will be going to Wholesale Aquatics in Betnal Green Road London as understand they have a great variety to choose from. :)

so lets hear you :D

edited to add: I will keep the bacteria going with ammonia by the way...cant get fish till after payday :)

Are there any groups/familys of fish that interest you other than plecs/catfish :) ?
Are you looking for any big centre peice fish in particular or just aiming for medium sized fish in general?

Hi,

If i had that tank to set up i'd go with discus or rainbow fish, there are loads of rainbows to choose from, i wish i had room for some now.

Emma :)

Why not go Discus?? Get 7 Discus and 15 cardinal tetras.
It would look good :D
Or you can go foir 3 bala sharks :hey:
They are awesome when they swim at their full size .....
Maybe clown loaches??

If I had a tank that size, I'd personally go for a Cichlid tank. Lots of rocks, Some tall Vallis, sand substrate and for live stock, various mouth brooding cichlids, catfish (synodontis petricola would be great). I've seen large cichlid tanks setup before and they look fantastic.

Discus are some of the hardest fish to keep, they probably wouldn't fair well in a newly cycled tank given their reputation for being frail and not tolerant of water quality issues. Probably a only fish to seriously consider once the tank has reached the 6months mature mark with no water quality issues/problems.
I agree though that bala sharks would probably be reasonably well suited to a new 130gal, although im not sure on clown loaches?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back