Netcode's 60 Gallon Journal

netcode

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey this is my new 65 gallon tank. It really is my very first tank. I was compelled to go big the first time round. Please post some feedback and suggestions :)

Thanks

105_0552.JPG

yes I love the tiger barbs.. my tank was put together with the idea in mind that tiger barbs would be the largest group in the tank. So from there i kept with agressive fish.. serpae i find are very agressive and get along really well with the tigers. I am looking at adding 2-3 firemouth cichlids..

Anyways I see that i missed a few things along the way for my plants.
1. I am missing a substrate
2. my gravel is much too large (pea gravel)
3. I buried all my plants with the foam pieces that were holding together the roots.. lol! :blush:

quite a nice tank.
what tank model is it or is it specially made?

its a hagan 48"x18"x24"..... or something along those lines.. apparently when i took in my dimensions to my LFS they said it was a very rare size and that hagan didn't make them anymore. Anyways it works out to be like roughly 65 gallons US.

yes I love the tiger barbs.. my tank was put together with the idea in mind that tiger barbs would be the largest group in the tank. So from there i kept with agressive fish.. serpae i find are very agressive and get along really well with the tigers. I am looking at adding 2-3 firemouth cichlids..

Anyways I see that i missed a few things along the way for my plants.
1. I am missing a substrate
2. my gravel is much too large (pea gravel)
3. I buried all my plants with the foam pieces that were holding together the roots.. lol! :blush:

What is wrong with keeping the foam pieces with the roots?
and whats the small bushy plant with loads of leaves? (yellowish at top, green at bottom)

Looking really nice !

Only thing I can see to add is put some java moss and anubias nana on that big chunk of wood, make it blend in a little

And make sure to keep updated pictures !

What is wrong with keeping the foam pieces with the roots?
and whats the small bushy plant with loads of leaves? (yellowish at top, green at bottom)

Thanks smile.gif

It is hygrophila polysperma apparently..

and i guess there is nothing wrong with keeping the foam pieces on the roots.. but when i thought about it i just figured it was a newbie mistake or something.. lol

Update:

I added a few crypts.. and did some moving of the plants.. what do u think now. Plus the picture is a littler smaller so i have included a closer look at the crypts.

I am also going to be adding some Java Moss hopefully or Riccia to the top of the wood. I don't know if I can find riccia around here.. there isn't much selection in plants at either of the LFS's. Either way i am finding something to cover up the wood.

Any suggestions is great. Keep in mind right now i do not have any CO2 or nutrients and I am at about 1.23 WPG. Hopefully i can eventually get some of that stuff going if money allows

SM0001.JPG

SM0002.JPG

Ive nice :) I like the long wood thing too. Can I suggest you take out one of the larger rocks? I see you're trying to balance it by having two and make it look more natural, but think just having one would work better? Just IMO :)

Sam

thanks for the suggestion. The only real reason i put the 3 big rocks in there is because i had to weigh down the wood. without the 3 it will float to the top.

ps for some reason my fish love to stick to the left side of the tank.. i don't know if thats cause its near the filter or what.

heater over there aswel? could be heater isn't good enough for the tank and so it's only warm by it?

any natural light at the other end of the room?

i like the log aswel

:good:

Just a quick update. I added some java moss onto my driftwood. This is my first time ever using java moss since it is my first tank and all. I think I got by ok but it was quite hard as i didn't take the driftwood out of the water, better planning would have allowed for this but since i already have fish i didn't want to disturb them too much by moving everything around. Let me know what you think.

PS. my photography is pretty poor so i included two shots of it.

JavaMoss0001.JPG

JavaMoss0003.JPG

Im not overly keen on that log. Sorry to say. It's not a very interesting shape. I would get something that is as long as that but that is a bit more twisted and gnarly and goes up higher in your tank. This will create more interest at the top level. Also youre better tying your moss on with brown cotton so you cant see it as easily. Real cotton is more expensive and will gradually rot a fall off. Cheap stuff is more likely to be polyester / nylon which won't ever rot.

well at this point there isn't much point to removing it.. I will grow it out and see what happens. Ya the thread is yellow.. but its all i had.

this is my first tank and all.

Most reactions

Back