Nerites - can they live in an unheated tank for a short time?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a massive invasion of small stray snails that came in on a plant. TBH they are getting on my wick.

I've tried squashing the buggers, catching them in baited snail traps, plucking them out of the tank and crushing them mercilessly in folded sheets of paper . . . numbers did seem to slow slightly about 6 months ago when we got a Betta, and I think he was scoffing the new hatchlings, but they are starting to grow in numbers again.

I was thinking of investing in an assassin snail, but I have two lovely Nerites and obviously I don't want them getting devoured. Would I be able to put them in an unheated small tank for a few weeks while the assassin completed its mission? And following the tank clearance would I think be able to switch the assassin with the Nerites and put the Nerites back, and the assassin into the unheated one?

Any advice gratefully received.

Nerite snails tend to be ok in temperature between 20-29C / 68-84F.

So say, in my home the tank water would remain at around 20-21C without a tank heater since I have central heating on overnight so it remains steady but if you live in a cold area without heating overnight then the nerites may struggle in cold water.

Would err on side of caution and get a small adjustable heater, not particularly expensive for a small heater and keep the nerites in the small tank or container with some substrate, bit of decor and plant perhaps feed an algae wafer every now and again, that should be ok short term.

Won't be a problem, you should see the conditions they survive in wholesale before reaching retail and home aquaria.

Nerite snails tend to be ok in temperature between 20-29C / 68-84F.

So say, in my home the tank water would remain at around 20-21C without a tank heater since I have central heating on overnight so it remains steady but if you live in a cold area without heating overnight then the nerites may struggle in cold water.

Would err on side of caution and get a small adjustable heater, not particularly expensive for a small heater and keep the nerites in the small tank or container with some substrate, bit of decor and plant perhaps feed an algae wafer every now and again, that should be ok short term.
Thank you, Charlie. I'll have a look to see if I can find a small heater. We tend not to have the central heating on except for an hour or so n the evening - I can't sleep if it's too hot during the night, so it may get too cold for them.

Won't be a problem, you should see the conditions they survive in wholesale before reaching retail and home aquaria.
I never thought of that! Poor little souls.

And following the tank clearance would I think be able to switch the assassin with the Nerites and put the Nerites back, and the assassin into the unheated one?
What if the Assassins breed and lie, deep within the substrate, waiting..?
I understand that Assassin snails are sensitive little beggars, when it comes to the water and aren't keen on excessive changes.

Whilst it's clear you've tried most of the snail-management techniques, I don't read anywhere about addressing the possible causes of their population explosion...this is usually down to a real abundance of food. ;)

What if the Assassins breed and lie, deep within the substrate, waiting..?
I understand that Assassin snails are sensitive little beggars, when it comes to the water and aren't keen on excessive changes.

Whilst it's clear you've tried most of the snail-management techniques, I don't read anywhere about addressing the possible causes of their population explosion...this is usually down to a real abundance of food. ;)
I have to confess that I probably do over-feed a little . . .

Re: your first point - do Assassins breed easily in an aquarium? I'd hate to have an assassin population explosion. I was only going to get one, but of course, there's nothing that says it won't be preggers when I get it (with my luck . . . :confused:)

I have a massive invasion of small stray snails that came in on a plant. TBH they are getting on my wick.

I've tried squashing the buggers, catching them in baited snail traps, plucking them out of the tank and crushing them mercilessly in folded sheets of paper . . . numbers did seem to slow slightly about 6 months ago when we got a Betta, and I think he was scoffing the new hatchlings, but they are starting to grow in numbers again.

I was thinking of investing in an assassin snail, but I have two lovely Nerites and obviously I don't want them getting devoured. Would I be able to put them in an unheated small tank for a few weeks while the assassin completed its mission? And following the tank clearance would I think be able to switch the assassin with the Nerites and put the Nerites back, and the assassin into the unheated one?

Any advice gratefully received.
Yes! I just posted a photo of my nerites amusing themselves in a cold water tank. Here it is again.

Attachments

• 9D7F12D8-2102-4E04-B35D-9BAE3F064DD7.jpeg
    9D7F12D8-2102-4E04-B35D-9BAE3F064DD7.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 38
Re: your first point - do Assassins breed easily in an aquarium? I'd hate to have an assassin population explosion. I was only going to get one, but of course, there's nothing that says it won't be preggers when I get it (with my luck . . . :confused:)
Apparently, yes.
I do hear tell of tales where a snail population was countered with Assassin Snails...only then to have an Assassin Snail problem.
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly, etc., etc..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back