Nerite snails have died

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishy_sean94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got two Nerite snails a couple of weeks ago to add in to my established tank to help with clearing up some algae (and also because I thought they looked interesting to watch).
They seemed okay for a few weeks, slowly exploring while taking a particular interest in the tank's glass.

Sadly though the first one passed away about a week ago. At first I had noticed he hadn't moved at all for days, though I checked for a bad smell and couldn't detect anything, his 'trap door' didn't look quite right and sure enough, I was gently picking him out one more time for a smell test and he just fell out of his shell in the process.

The second still seemed okay for a while longer but yesterday I noticed he was leaning against the glass, but not 'sucked' to it, and it looked as if the same thing was happening again. Did a smell test but once again nothing bad. I've now moved him to another container with some tank water for a few hours just in case he starts to move (but I'm doubting it as he doesn't seem to be attaching himself to anything).

I am currently having an issue with high Nitrates in my water (from the tap, so no amount of water changes fixes it), but everything else is fine (did a test today) and so far everyone else seems to be alright (danio fish and amano shrimp).

Is it likely the Nitrates would cause this for the snails? Are they extra sensitive to this compared to the danios/shrimp?

I got two Nerite snails a couple of weeks ago to add in to my established tank to help with clearing up some algae (and also because I thought they looked interesting to watch).
They seemed okay for a few weeks, slowly exploring while taking a particular interest in the tank's glass.

Sadly though the first one passed away about a week ago. At first I had noticed he hadn't moved at all for days, though I checked for a bad smell and couldn't detect anything, his 'trap door' didn't look quite right and sure enough, I was gently picking him out one more time for a smell test and he just fell out of his shell in the process.

The second still seemed okay for a while longer but yesterday I noticed he was leaning against the glass, but not 'sucked' to it, and it looked as if the same thing was happening again. Did a smell test but once again nothing bad. I've now moved him to another container with some tank water for a few hours just in case he starts to move (but I'm doubting it as he doesn't seem to be attaching himself to anything).

I am currently having an issue with high Nitrates in my water (from the tap, so no amount of water changes fixes it), but everything else is fine (did a test today) and so far everyone else seems to be alright (danio fish and amano shrimp).

Is it likely the Nitrates would cause this for the snails? Are they extra sensitive to this compared to the danios/shrimp?
Is the tank planted? How long has it been set up?

Is the tank planted? How long has it been set up?
It was set up in March 2020 and yes I made a swap from fake to real plants a while back. I have about 10 different plants in the tank so I’d say for the size it’s decently planted.

Do you dose plant fertilizers?

How high are the trAtes in the tank? What kind of test kit do you use?

Do you dose plant fertilizers?

How high are the trAtes in the tank? What kind of test kit do you use?
I do I add a weekly dose of 'TNC Lite'.

And I use the API Master Test Kit. The nitrates are showing as a dark orange/red colour (they do when I've tested directly from the tap also).
I wouldn't have even thought it were possible for such a high reading from the tap? In which case perhaps the test kit is not being reliable?
It's only just over a year old and I think I shake the bottle violently enough (according to instruction) when doing the nitrate test.

Both nitrite and ammonia are so far always fine.

I don't over feed, I add Tetra NitrateMinus to the tank. I've also been trying the 'Fluval Clear X' sheets which sit in the sponge filter and are supposed to also help with nitrates, but nothing seems to work.
My only other option is buying filtered water I believe, which seems like a very expensive and not very practical thing to do.

I'm wondering if ordering a different brand/type of test kit would be worth it to see if it is indeed my current one being inaccurate.
Though, if it is indeed that I then have no idea why my two snails didn't make it as can't see anything else wrong.

"TNC lite is Nitrate and Phosphate free. It is specifically designed for use in lightly planted aquariums or for aquariums where a higher fish population provides the necessary Nitrate and Phosphate. TNC lite contains Potassium, Magnesium and Trace elements. The essential Nitrate and Phosphates will be provided by your fish and feeding regime. TNC lite is ideal for don't require CO2 injection."

Never heard of that stuff before, but I wonder what those "trace elements" could be...

I've never heard of that NitrateMinus stuff either

What else is in the tank? Fish, shrimp?

I'm not sure but after researching which plant fertiliser to get, it seemed TNC was one that was recommended quite a lot. I obviously opted for the Lite version as didn't want even more nitrates (if that's the issue).

There are six danios and five amano shrimp. The danio's have been in since I started up last year.

I'm not sure but after researching which plant fertiliser to get, it seemed TNC was one that was recommended quite a lot. I obviously opted for the Lite version as didn't want even more nitrates.

There are six danios and five amano shrimp. The danio's have been in since I started up last year.
And the amanos are doing fine?...that would help rule out any chemicals (mainly copper) that could be killing the snails...copper and inverts = not good

Or, the snails could just be weak stock when you buy them...

For the high trAtes, try adding some floating plants...how often do you clean your filter(s)?

And the amanos are doing fine?...that would help rule out any chemicals (mainly copper) that could be killing the snails...copper and inverts = not good

Or, the snails could just be weak stock when you guy them...

For the high trAtes, try adding some floating plants...how often do you clean your filter(s)?

So far they all seem to be doing fine. They have only been in the tank about two weeks now but from what I can tell they are okay. They like hiding a lot and there's a lot of places for them to do that so I don't see all five at once very often.

I do have a floating 'amazon frogbit' which I read grow quite quickly but mine seems to be extremely slow in doing that so it's still very small.

So far they all seem to be doing fine. They have only been in the tank about two weeks now but from what I can tell they are okay. They like hiding a lot and there's a lot of places for them to do that so I don't see all five at once very often.

I do have a floating 'amazon frogbit' which I read grow quite quickly but mine seems to be extremely slow in doing that so it's still very small.
My amanos hide alot, too...you'll know they're doing good when you start finding molts...means they're prospering (growing)...the frogbit should help with the trAtes as it grows

How high is "high nitrate"? UK legislation allows up to 50 ppm in drinking water.

The live plants - how long ago did you put them in the tank and where did you get them from? The reason I ask is becuase if the plants were grown outside the EU plants have to be treated with snail killing chemicals. If the seller didn't say they were shrimp safe, they could well have been grown outside the EU.
(We may have left the EU but plant growers in the far east will ship the same plants to both the EU and the UK)

Never heard of that stuff before, but I wonder what those "trace elements" could be...
Plant nutrients are commonly divided into two groups macros and micros (sometimes called trace nutrients)

The macro nutrients are Nitrogen, Potassium, Calcium, phosphate, sulfur,

The micro or trace nutrients are Iron, chlorine, manganese, Boron, Zinc, copper, molybdenum, and nickel

TNC light does a good job covering the micros and it has 2 macros magnesium, and potassium except it doesn't have chlorine and nickel. Bt the two it doesn't have are common in tap water.

It is important to note that if you are short or missing just one macro or micro nutrient plant growth may slow or stop. That said there is nothing in your fertilizer that would kill your snails. But with the night nitrate i your tap water it is possible that there is some issue with your tap water that could cause the nail death.

How high is "high nitrate"? UK legislation allows up to 50 ppm in drinking water.

The live plants - how long ago did you put them in the tank and where did you get them from? The reason I ask is becuase if the plants were grown outside the EU plants have to be treated with snail killing chemicals. If the seller didn't say they were shrimp safe, they could well have been grown outside the EU.
(We may have left the EU but plant growers in the far east will ship the same plants to both the EU and the UK)

My tap water was definitely higher than that when I tested it. Reading the same as the tank (dark orange/red which is possibly near 160ppm.

So if 50ppm is the supposed limit, would it be worth contacting my water company and see what they say?
Also, my father who lives not far from me, has the same problem and gets very high readings when testing his tap water.
You'd think if it's this widespread in the area though there must be thousands of people with fish with the same issue.

My live plants are all either from eBay sellers (which say they're grown in the UK, as well as saying they were shrimp/snail safe in the descriptions), or from a local reputable aquarium store which I would imagine are also grown in the UK.
I first put live plants in a few months ago, but have since added a few newer ones at different times.

Plant nutrients are commonly divided into two groups macros and micros (sometimes called trace nutrients)

The macro nutrients are Nitrogen, Potassium, Calcium, phosphate, sulfur,

The micro or trace nutrients are Iron, chlorine, manganese, Boron, Zinc, copper, molybdenum, and nickel

TNC light does a good job covering the micros and it has 2 macros magnesium, and potassium except it doesn't have chlorine and nickel. Bt the two it doesn't have are common in tap water.

It is important to note that if you are short or missing just one macro or micro nutrient plant growth may slow or stop. That said there is nothing in your fertilizer that would kill your snails. But with the night nitrate i your tap water it is possible that there is some issue with your tap water that could cause the nail death.
Enough copper to harm inverts?

My tap water was definitely higher than that when I tested it. Reading the same as the tank (dark orange/red which is possibly near 160ppm.

So if 50ppm is the supposed limit, would it be worth contacting my water company and see what they say?
Also, my father who lives not far from me, has the same problem and gets very high readings when testing his tap water.
You'd think if it's this widespread in the area though there must be thousands of people with fish with the same issue.

My live plants are all either from eBay sellers (which say they're grown in the UK, as well as saying they were shrimp/snail safe in the descriptions), or from a local reputable aquarium store which I would imagine are also grown in the UK.
I first put live plants in a few months ago, but have since added a few newer ones at different times.
I would DEFINITELY contact your water company, and ask for a report on all of the elements in your tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back