Neons In A Mature Tank...

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Ok, so hopefully my 300L tank will be ready soon with the cycle comng to the end of it proving week.

I know that 'tetras' in general apparently don't like a freshly cycled tank, and as such need the tank to mature for about 6 months first.
I had been planning to move all my fish from my 60L tank into the 300L, but 4 of the fish in there are cardinal tetras.
Does this mean that I am going to need to keep the 60L tank running for another 6 months or so for the cardinals to live in whilst the other tank matures with all the other fish? If that is the case I think I will need to get more cardinals to put in the 60L tank, and also get a quarantine tank for them to go into first...
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems...
 
Never kept cardinals myself, but in terms of this upgrade, I would just move them along with the other fish, ok so the tank doesnt have that mature feel to it yet, but the cardinals you have are already used to your water params, ph, hardness etc, so not such a big of a shock as coming directly from the LFS to your tank. Thats just my opinion of course, but I wouldnt keep running the 60L for 4 tetras, who will no doubt be fine anyway.
 
When I first started my tank I put 10 glowlight tetras in there and introduced 10 neons 2 weeks later. This was a freshly cycled tank and I had no loss at all. The tetras were fine happy and swiming. I had no issue until i introduced 2 baby angles and they started eating/bullying the tetras.

Summary: Tetras should be fine. They are very hardy.
 
I believe neons prefer a mature tank. I have never lost any when putting them in matured systems of 5-6 months old, but wouldn't consider putting them in a newly set up tank personally.

My cardinals are much more sturdy than my neons have ever been, but it's up to you obviously. Not something I would do.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top