Neon tetras are good with....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Woody781

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have set up a tank with Neon tetras at the moment and I'm wondering what would go well with them? I do have 2 Borneo catfish with them but they are moving shortly to another tank.

Tetras and Borneo.jpg

What is the tank size and your water parameters (KH & GH)?

My tank is 34L. I'm not sure where to find the water paameter info

I thought we covered parameters in the other thread on this tank...check the website of your municipal water authority, or if not there, call them. You want the GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH. You should consider a test kit for pH as this is a parameter that can change (GH and KH are much less likely too, normally) and alert you to problems.

I thought we covered parameters in the other thread on this tank...check the website of your municipal water authority, or if not there, call them. You want the GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH. You should consider a test kit for pH as this is a parameter that can change (GH and KH are much less likely too, normally) and alert you to problems.

would this be it? https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/20170620_enterococci_monitoring_results.xlsx

image.png
For some reason, that link goes nowhere.

I checked the other thread, and parameters were asked for but none given, so we are still needing that. Maybe you could check and correct the link.

Never mind the last link! Here's a picture

Unfortunately, that just gives the recommended ranges for each parameter, not what your tapwater is. The hardness figu - 20 to 450 mg/l - just means the recommended range is between very soft and very hard.
You need the hardness for your tap water. If it isn't on the website, you will have to phone them to ask.

Unfortunately, that just gives the recommended ranges for each parameter, not what your tapwater is. The hardness figu - 20 to 450 mg/l - just means the recommended range is between very soft and very hard.
You need the hardness for your tap water. If it isn't on the website, you will have to phone them to ask.
Finding this info is so annoying because I'm not the best researcher. I'll look some more

I have looked at Brisbane City Council's website and I can't find anything about water hardness. They seem to be concerned with monitoring micro-organisms and nothing else.
I think you'll have to phone them. If they are anything like my water company, if you email them they'll just send the information on their website, which doesn't include hardness. Ask for the hardness and alkalinity of your water supply, and make a note of the unit as well as the number (there are at least 6 units they could use!)

I have looked at Brisbane City Council's website and I can't find anything about water hardness. They seem to be concerned with monitoring micro-organisms and nothing else.
I think you'll have to phone them. If they are anything like my water company, if you email them they'll just send the information on their website, which doesn't include hardness. Ask for the hardness and alkalinity of your water supply, and make a note of the unit as well as the number (there are at least 6 units they could use!)
What do you mean make a note of the units as well?? Can you give me an example?? -What's your water parameters??

Both hardness and alkalinity can be in these units - german degrees, french degrees, clarke degrees, mg/l Ca (calcium), mg/l CaO (calcium oxide), mg/l CaCO3 (calcium carbonate), grains/gal.

In fishkeeping we call hardness GH and alkalinity KH, and we use just 2 units - german degrees and mg/l CaCO3. To make things more confusing, some fish websites call german degrees just degrees or dH, and mg/l CaCO3 is usually referred to as ppm by fishkeepers.
You need to know which unit your water company uses for hardness and alkalinity so that if necessary the value can be converted to the units that fishkeepers use.

Tank water parameters are things that are in the tap water such as hardness, pH, and also temperature.

I've found it in the link (page 38 of 44), thanks Steven. Now we just need Woody to look at it and find the value for his region. The table gives the hardness as mg/l but doesn't say mg/l of what so do we assume it's mg/l CaCO3?

This is a water quality report for multiple utilities in Queensland Australia. The numbers you are looking for are in appendix C near the end of this very long document.

https://www.urbanutilities.com.au/~/media/quu/pdfs/about us/publications/finalq009452015 drinking water quality management plan report 2014 15.ashx

Thanks StevenF for finding that for me!!! Much appreciated!!

I've found it in the link (page 38 of 44), thanks Steven. Now we just need Woody to look at it and find the value for her region. The table gives the hardness as mg/l but doesn't say mg/l of what so do we assume it's mg/l CaCO3?

I live in South East Brisbane -2nd to last column, p.38

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back