Neon Tetra Eggs Help!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gavril

Reaction score
My neon spawned 3 days ago and I have harvested 2 leaves that are full of adhesive eggs. I was wondering why they haven't hatched yet and if will ever hatch as tetra eggs only need about 30 hours to hatch.
The eggs are a yellow-ish green-ish colour
Note- I only turned the light on to take the picture it has been off 4 the past 3 days
eggs 1.jpg

Are you sure they are neon tetra eggs?

What else is in the tank?

Do the eggs have any dark spots in them?
If no, they are probably sterile and won't hatch.

Are you sure they are neon tetra eggs?

What else is in the tank?

Do the eggs have any dark spots in them?
If no, they are probably sterile and won't hatch.
It was just the neons, and no there are any black spots.
But what I don't understand is why a female spawned all her eggs and I have seen any fry or signs of life in the tank. I saw her eat a few as she spawned but most of them did fall. Maybe they are just slow or NONE got fertilized

If you have male and female neons they should produce fertile eggs. However, if the eggs get exposed to any light they can die. If the male is sterile he won't fertilise the eggs even tho he goes thru the motions. If the water is too hard (more than 50ppm) the eggs won't develop properly and the male will have more trouble fertilising the eggs.

Ok, thanks for the tips but I will just try another pair of neons at a later time

Try to use rain, R/O or distilled water to breed them in.

Separate males and females for 4 days before putting them together in the breeding tank.

Black out the back and sides of the tank after breeding and don't have lights on while they are breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Back