Neon Tank Mates

flyhawk

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all, i have 14 growing neons, that i got from the lfs about 1 month ago. i was thinking of getting 3-4 angels next winter, so that the neons can grow, so the wont get ate up. but i am looking for some other suggestions to go with my neons. maybe a pearl gourami? i dearly love those fish

Its nice to see that you have a good large school of Neon's. They always look better when they are in a large school. A school of 6-8 Corydoras would be perfect and would complete your setup nicely. Please post your tank's size so that we can make sure this is a good plan for you. In the future try posting in the Tropical Discussion forum to get quicker responses.

i am extremely sorry that i didnt post there, as i wasnt thinking :blush:
i have a 50 gallon aquarium, that is pretty heavily planted. i do water changes every three days. yes i put neons i large groups, because out in the wild there in groups of over 100!!

i have a 50 gallon aquarium, that is pretty heavily planted. i do water changes every three days. yes i put neons i large groups, because out in the wild there in groups of over 100!!

With your plants you don't necessarily need to be doing so many partial water changes. The Cory's would work nicely in your tank. I would get a school of at least 8. What do you think of that idea? There are other fish that would go together nicely also. For example Bolivian or German Blue Rams or a Pearl Gourami. What kind of plants do you have in your tank as certain fish prefer certain plants?

With your plants you don't necessarily need to be doing so many partial water changes. The Cory's would work nicely in your tank. I would get a school of at least 8. What do you think of that idea? There are other fish that would go together nicely also. For example Bolivian or German Blue Rams or a Pearl Gourami. What kind of plants do you have in your tank as certain fish prefer certain plants?

If you don't mind, I'll move this over to Characins, but I'll leave a link so you can keep track of your thread.

llj

thanks for moving it! now in the back corners i have 3-4 bunched plants in each corner. in the middle is a fast growing red rubin sword. i have hc cuba in the front, and in the middle i have dwarf sagitteria. in the front corner i have 3 tiger lilies.
i like the idea of the corys, but the gouramis appeal more.

You could go with the Cory's and the Gourami's. A mature planted tank will be able to house more than 1" per gallon. This is because the plants will use Ammonia and Nitrate as "food". You will still need to do partial water changes so that your fish have "fresh water" ; but don't worry about stocking because you have a large planted tank.

one more thing. what do you think of angelfish, since my neons are jumbo and im giving them 4 months to grow, before i would put angels in.

flyhawk,

There is always a chance that your Angelfish will eat a Neon Tetra or other similar sized fish. A lot of aquarist believe that adding Angelfish last makes them less likely to eat Neon Tetras. I'm banking on that theory right know in my 55 gallon planted aquarium. But like I said that rule about adding Angelfish last is simply a THEORY and is not scientifically backed up. Make sure that your Angelfish are WELL FED. The Angelfish will be more prone to attack your Tetras if they hungry. Also, include driftwood and other ornaments that the Neon's can hide in if being pursued. I definitely believe adding Angelfish after your Neons are full grown is a wise choice. Yes, your Neon's should be full grown after about 4-6 months.

i have all types of hiding places between plants and driftwood

yes i think i will, but i might have some gouramis or corys with them.

yes i think i will, but i might have some gouramis or corys with them.

If i were you i wouldnt get any Angelfish, when the fully grow they will eat all the neons (neons are what they eat in the wild), i would get the Gouramis and Corrys though

nicholas, did you mean that your trying this 'letting the neons grow then put in the angels' theory? the neons cost 1.99 a piece at petsmart, so since there cheap, i dont mind. if they do get eaten though, i will try some congos, our rasboras. pearl gouramis really are one of my favorite fish though, so ill problably get one or two of those.

Most reactions

Back