Neon lost its colour

To be on the safe side i would issolate the fish, and try an anti internal bacteria med on the fish, don't leave the fish in the tank as if it is ntd it will cause alot of death and you will have to strip the tank down.

hmmm.....
Now y'all got me worried about my lumpy black neon. Only it's color is fine. It just has acouple of little lumps on one side right through the stipes, and the stripes just go right over the lumps. :dunno:
The fish act fine.

Are tetras normally this susceptible to diseases? I've never kept any, just wondered.......

I no longer buy neon tetra's they are not a hardy fish and there is always the ntd desease to worry about, if you do wan't to keep them i kept them in a tank of there own.

>>> Are tetras normally this susceptible to diseases?

No, not at all. Most people who keep tetras do so for a lifetime without ever seeing any of the esoteric problems Wilder habitually doom mongers. As a group, the tetras are a pretty trouble free group, at least if you keep to the common small species. There are some true monsters in the group, but it is their nature that causes the problem, not any particular susceptibility to disease.

Only going on my experience of keeping them, there are bad batches of them out there.

Thats true, however, admit it, whenever anyone posts anything here that could in any way however remotely be one of your "favourite" conditions, you are in with an "It could be..." doom and gloom suggestion.

You are making it appear that CC&A species are weak susceptible, dodgy groups. This is not true. If everyone listened to you, nobody would ever keep CC&A species.

Whilst it is true that there are certain issues, by blanket posting doom and gloom, you are not helping, only frightening.

Keep your hat on, .

Hey there -
If I can throw my 2 cents worth in here....
I have gotten help from Wilder on several occasions, including once when he diagnosed my sick little Jasper with acute viral hemmoraghic septicemia from across the ocean.

I'm not joining this argument for one side or the other, because you both have good points. He's just posting what he's experienced with them, that's just his opinion on the species. And you are entitled to rally for them - it's just a matter or personal experience, and I for one always like to hear both sides - pros and cons - of anything before I make a major decision on it.

Anyway, like I said - just my 2 cents worth. :dunno:

Wilder is a "she".

Nobody is denying that there are diseases, and problems.

It is also true that fish evolved in an environment filled with pathogens and parasites, and do have some methods of combatting them without intervention. If that was not the case, they'd be extinct.

The biggest problem is almost always poor hygiene/husbandary. When a fish is struggling to stay alive because it is living in polluted water, of the wrong type, it is no suprise that diseases manifest themselves. The fishes metabolism is fighting too many fronts and gives in to one or other of them.

It is worth pointing out that experienced fish keepers generally do not have "disease" outbreaks in their tanks. The fish are capable of dealing with the aggressor by themselves.

Routinely advising beginners that they have a serious disease, or that they should inexpertly medicate with seriously strong medications is simply bad advice. Often, a simple regime of better husbandary will rectify the situation. Scaring people is counter productive.

Fine, mods being clever again. problem with mods darn't go out on a lim, meaning playing safe all the time.

>>> Fine, mods being clever again. problem with mods darn't go out on a lim.

I asked you to justify your advice, can you do so?

Why start out on the limb and work backwards?

I'm not getting into an argument over it, you have your views and i have mine, thats it, don't like it then ban me.

LL - most of the reasons why I need so much help with sick fish isn't because I've let them get that way, it's because I buy them that way. On purpose. I get them from the nasty stinking place we all know as WalMart. I just don't want to let them die there, and I figure other people will buy the nice beautiful healthy ones, so I drag home the ones that need the most help and care. I just didn't want you to think that I don't take care of my fish so they all end up with a nasty illness.

Anyway, I think it would be a shame to ban Wilder from the forum - *s*he contributes excellent information. If you do think that she has a habit of posting things that are always the worst case scenario, maybe you can just ask that she posts them that way - as a "this is a WORST case scenario", but you can wait for other opinions type of thing, if you choose.

I felt like I wanted to at least try to defend her by saying that if she hadn't dug up the info on the hemmoraghic septicemia for me, I'd have one fish less on my "currently have" list and one more on my RIP list. That's all. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back