Neon Help Plzplzplzlp

Dude

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
600
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Israel baby
will neons live in an unheated tank of about 72F for a day or so


because my heater broke and stores are closed untill tomarrow
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz plz help me out

thanks 2 those who reply
 
Turn room temp up if you can and put a blanket over it to keep the heat in, also leaving light on might be good as that heat the water abit.
 
Is 72oF the temperature of the tank now, or the room temperature?

72oF is roughly 22oC so it will probably be dangerous. What you could do is cover the tank with towels and keep adding some warm de-chlorinated water, making sure the new water is at a good temp, to keep up the tank temperature while you get the new heater.

How long are you expecting to take buying the new heater? I would do it ASAP!

Hope this helps

Lab
:D
 
I think your fine, don't take drastic mesures.
I had white cloud tetras (not the minnows) in an unheated, not filtered, very dirty tank for 3 weeks in my guest bedroom.
I thought everything in the tank was dead, so i left it there untill I started to take it down completely.
They were alive and well.
I'd just keep everything normal. New stuff (Blankets and such)= stress = death. They'll already be stressed alittle from the cold, and the new "surrondings" will also cause stress.
If its your normal water change day, change the water, otherwise leave it.
 
Before I knew better, I kept tetras (although not neons) in an unheated tank until they slowly died of old age after about 6 years!

Generally they'll cope, although make sure that you keep an eye on them to be sure and sort out a replacement heater ASAP.

PS - always a good idea to have a spare as I discovered the other day when I melted the one in my betta tank.
:*)
 
Hi Dude :)

When fish have trouble due to temperature changes, it's often due to sudden changes rather than just the fact that it changed. I suggest wrapping the tank with blankets to keep the temperature from dropping too quickly. Then, when you do get another heater, warm it up slowly until it reaches the temperature it was. :D
 
I had white cloud tetras (not the minnows) in an unheated, not filtered, very dirty tank for 3 weeks in my guest bedroom.
I thought everything in the tank was dead, so i left it there untill I started to take it down completely.
They were alive and well.
I'd just keep everything normal. New stuff (Blankets and such)= stress = death. They'll already be stressed alittle from the cold, and the new "surrondings" will also cause stress.

White minnows are hardy, hardy, hardy!!!
In the earliest days of my families fish keeping before we'd heard of cycling or anything, we had a bowl of minnows... they happily survived our ignorance and later a full on fire in the room they were in (burnt out most of the room but not totally gutted. If they can survive a ghastly house fire they can certainly survive a little drop in temp...

neons are meant to be less hardy, but I've had them survive quite nicely in adverse conditions, you'll be fine.
 
yes yes theyre all healthy !!!!!


thanks for all of your help

in the end i did a massive water changes ever 2 days 20 % of the water

+ added salt + heated to 80 degrees

and poff in two days theyre all ok

exept 4 one who had the neon tetra desise

he was in the hospital tank....

once again i thank all of you for your great advice!

dude outy :alien:

yes yes theyre all healthy !!!!!


thanks for all of your help

in the end i did a massive water changes ever 2 days 20 % of the water

+ added salt + heated to 80 degrees

and poff in two days theyre all ok

exept 4 one who had the neon tetra desise

he was in the hospital tank....

once again i thank all of you for your great advice!

dude outy :alien:

i got a new heater too
so everythings back on track
 

Most reactions

Back
Top