Need to learn about different fish.....

RoperDoper

Reaction score
Ok, how big do kissing gouramis get? The one I was think about getting is about 2 inches long and was silver with a pink stripe on top, what kind of gouramis does this sound like? Or does it seem that it WAS injested with dye? It's a gorgeous fish, but your right that is rather cruel. What about these glass fish, what kind of fish are they, tetras? What type of fish do they get along with? I wouldn't mind getting some tetras, just not neons, I've had bad experience with them, they are pests and my male betta killed 4 of them overnight. Do those smaller cat fish eat fry? And what about the giant ones that are like a foot long, do they eat smaller fish? Same q, goes for the giant algae eaters. I really like the looks of the Electric Yellow African Cichlad, but have heard they are aggressive? Would they do well with the type of fish I want to keep? Thanks!

Your best bet is to just do google searches on these fish. Usually you can find profiles of them. It is a lot easier than someone typing it all on to here...

there is loads an loads of sites out there that tell u about diff fish an what they go with... i recently had to look up about kuli loaches cause id brought two and didnt know a fig about them... now i know they prefer sand ( and iv got gravel -_- ) but they can live with gravel wich is cool lmao.....

also learned that i dont have to have my filter blowing bubbles out all the time... and since tightenin the airline tube iv not got any and my tank looks clearer....

the net is alive with loads of info :)

Dawn xx

Wow!

Okay - let's see.

Kissing Gouramis grow to about 10". They do not have stripes - if you've seen one with coloured stripes - I'd avoid it.

Glass Fish are not tetras - they are related to the perch family. They like a bit of salt in the water - so obviously will not go with salt hating fish - they are a peaceful species though - easily bullied - quite delicate in fact.

Neons are not pests. If your betta killed them . then I would suggest your betta is a pest!

Almost all fish eat fry - in fact - almost all fish will eat fish small enough to fit in their mouth. Catfish are predators - this is particulaly true of them. Same is true of the big ones.

Don't know what you mean with "Giant Algae Eaters" - if you mean large Chinese Sucking Loaches - they are bad tempered and will attack other fish - yes.

Cichlids - don't keep them - never have really apart from a few peaceful dwarfs - to nasty.

Alright.. this might come off sounding a bit like a rant, and I want to make it clear that this isn't a personal attack on anyone who posted anything in this thread, nor do I wish to single anybody out, but I've been seeing SO much of this on the board lately and it just doesn't seem right to me...

Your best bet is to just do google searches on these fish. Usually you can find profiles of them. It is a lot easier than someone typing it all on to here...

and...

there is loads an loads of sites out there that tell u about diff fish an what they go with... the net is alive with loads of info

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this sort of response to someone's quest for information here? This is a fish forum; the idea is that people can do a Google search and END UP HERE!!!! If typing the responses that somebody is looking for is too much trouble, then refrain from doing so, but there are many members here who enjoy that kind of chore if it means they're helping an aspiring or novice fishkeeper gain a better understanding of our hobby and, especially, the particular fish they wish to keep. Replying to somebody's request for information with a link to another site or instructions to go surf the web and see what they can find is sort of like a salesman instructing an interested customer to try finding what they need at a flea market because it's too much trouble to go get the sought after product from a box in the warehouse. We don't want to send our community members away!!! We want to give them all the help and information we can so that they'll think of this site as the only fish related site they need and will come back here again and again, becoming valuable members who one day pass on all the knowledge and experience they've gained to other new members. I realise there are times when providing a link to a specific article or picture of a specific fish is most helpful and totally sensible. However, to answer somebody's questions with directions to go surfing and see what comes up is not, imo.

Just my two cents worth...

:-( sorry its just that i found it usefull and its what i normaly do... i hate pestering everyone with what does this fish do and what will go with what...

its just that like ur main page there are some sites that have index's of a realy big range of fish...

sorry once again..... :sad:

Dawnxx

Aquanut, I agree with you too a point. However when it comes to basic info about fish i.e. what temp they need what size they can get too etc, that is info that is more quickly found doing a search. It is the more specific stuff that is useful on here i.e. how do various fish get along together.

Dawn - please don't be sorry; I really didn't mean or wish to single you out. I know you didn't post to try and be offensive in any way. Also please don't feel like you're pestering anybody if you ask questions, though!! That's what the forum is here for. If someone is tired of answering the same old questions about (whatever), they need not answer them; I guarantee somebody else will come along who doesn't mind the 2 minutes it will take them to tell you what you need to know. :nod:

pmoyniha - I don't mean to be argumentative, but I still disagree with what you're saying. Perhaps it is quicker to find the information elsewhere, but the information is also available here and there is no reason to send people away if this is where they're looking for it. Furthermore, the forum has search capabilities as well, and it is not difficult to find past threads containing the information you seek. This is an entire section of the board dedicated to Beginners' Questions; no question is too basic here - not even requests for recommended tank temperature.

Most reactions

Back