Need suggestions on what to put over my filter

Nina7777

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hello- My female platy is about to give birth any day now. I've decided to let the fry swim free in the aquarium, and have provided lots of hiding places via java moss and fake plants.

My problem is, I put a stocking over the filter intake (so nobody would get sucked up) but now it is clogging my filter.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on something to put over the strainer on the filter so that nobody gets sucked up?

Thanks bunches! :unsure:

over my filter so my baby convicts dont get sucked up is a filter cartridge that i cut to fit. I straped it on with rubberbands. IT also gives them something to pick food off of. my filter doesnt get clogged.
good luck

:thumbs: I would use a net because the holes are just large enough to allow water suction, but they're small enough so the fry woulnd't get sucked up. Just cut out part of a net, wrap it around the intake pipe and secure it with small rubber bands. ;)

I cover the intake pipe for my fry tank with a net and none of the fry were ever sucked up. I guess that they are strong swimmers and are able to avoid the filter suction. :fish:

Ok sound like great alternatives! but will covering the filter intake distrupt anything in the tank seeing how all the particles that get sucked up can't get through the net?

I do 10% water changes everyday, (it is still a rather new tank)?

Most reactions

Back