Need Some More Black Skirt Tetra Advice...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AML225

Reaction score
Hello-

I don't know if you remember but several weeks ago I posted a thread about Black Skirt Tetras:

My previous post.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few more related questions:

Both fish survived the break just fine and I've since added two live plants to my 10g tank and 3 more Black Skirts. About a day after adding the three fish I also added a dose of Bio-Spira (kept and shipped refrigerated). My tank is going through a mini-cycle right now (I think) but all fish seem to be happy and healthy. I know my 10g is only going to seem even smaller now with 5 of the species rather than two but I'm wondering what can be done in order to make sure they're happy/healthy given the circumstances.

Assuming I ONLY keep black skirts in this tank what's the max number I can have? Is five already too many or can I continue to add a few more in order to further reduce their small shoal stress? My fish really don't have any tendency to school, is that normal? They also are quite aggressive and seem to chase after each other often with several of the fish having small tears in their rear fins.

They really all appear quite healthy with their black portions being very dark (as opposed to them getting lighter when they're particularly stressed in my experience). Any tips or advice is welcome!

Also here are my tank parameters using an API Freshwater Masters (drops not strips for those that aren't familiar):

AquariumStats.jpg

***The only thing to note is that on 3/17 I'm pretty sure my 0.25 reading for ammonia is actually 0. Either way it's at zero and steady now...

I can neither afford nor fit a larger tank (I'm a college student) so that's not really an option. Given the circumstances what would you guys recommend?

Bump. Anybody? Maybe I should post this in the main forums rather than species specific. That forum seems to get more hits.

You should be able to keep 8-10 black skirt tetras in the tank. The more you have the more normal they will behave. Black skirts are notorious for fin nipping and they chase hell out of each other when there aren't enough to keep the school acting normally.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back