Need some advice (sick goldfish) please !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scott2Rescue

Reaction score
Hey guys no idea if this is the right place for this.
Sister has bought a black Moore goldfish, it seemed like it was doing great.
A week or to ago it started developing these white marks and white pieces hanging off its scales.

Now it seems like it has a large silver patch on its scales and white on its fins. Any ideas?
It's spent a lot of time just swimming in place all day not as energetic as it was a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_112423.jpg
    IMG_20200728_112423.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20200728_112435.jpg
    IMG_20200728_112435.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20200728_112620.jpg
    IMG_20200728_112620.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 131
Need a few answers:
- What size tank is he in
- Did you cycle the tank ?
- Are you aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
- what are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
We can help you with all of this. Until we get your answer, do a large, 85% water change and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. Make sure salt it is dissolved first in a little tank water. Get back with us on questions above. :)

Need a few answers:
- What size tank is he in
- Did you cycle the tank ?
- Are you aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
- what are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
We can help you with all of this. Until we get your answer, do a large, 85% water change and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. Make sure salt it is dissolved first in a little tank water. Get back with us on questions above. :)
Hi thanks for the reply. I can tell you it's a 20l tank and he's the only fish in said tank. I believe the owner has cycled the tank, as far as the water itself I have no idea what values it would be at I'm sorry. I can ask the owner and she if she will find out. Will forward the water change instructions along thanks !

Can we just clarify - the 20l tank, is that 20 litres or a 20 gallon long tank? If Chichester is the one in the UK I suspect that it's 20 litres which is way too small for a goldfish. @Deanasue is more knowledgable about goldfish; she'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Can we just clarify - the 20l tank, is that 20 litres or a 20 gallon long tank? If Chichester is the one in the UK I suspect that it's 20 litres which is way too small for a goldfish. @Deanasue is more knowledgable about goldfish; she'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for pointing that out, essjay. I assumed liters. If so, it is much too small. One black moor needs at least 20 gallons.

Thanks for pointing that out, essjay. I assumed liters. If so, it is much too small. One black moor needs at least 20 gallons.

I'm no fish expert and not questioning your knowledge, when she bought the fish, it was the tank size recommend by the sales rep.

I do believe it's 20 litres, from the UK.
Has a filter pump with it.
Is the only fish in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_153748.jpg
    IMG_20200728_153748.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 127
Yes, fish store employees no very little about the proper care of fish. He’s OK in there for now but will need a larger tank soon. I use to breed black moors. Recently retired. Please read this info. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/. The tank absolutely has to be cycled for the fish to survive. For now, do a large (75%) water change. That will lower any ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water which is toxic to the fish.

Yes, fish store employees no very little about the proper care of fish. He’s OK in there for now but will need a larger tank soon. I use to breed black moors. Recently retired. Please read this info. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/. The tank absolutely has to be cycled for the fish to survive. For now, do a large (75%) water change. That will lower any ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water which is toxic to the fish.

Thank you will give it a proper read!
The store employees should be better informed!
Will be getting a bigger tank for this little guy.

Just a little FYI
BB2DC208-8F25-44E8-B1F9-B98B170ABAC5.jpeg
.. I have 3 goldies in a 75G tank. Pic below can give you an dea of how big they get. My largest is 4 years old and about 8” long. I put my finger in pic for comparison in size. :).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back