Need Some Advice On Fish Food Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Me? I don't mind having sixteen different bottles of expensive fish food languishing in my freezer. I don't mind in the least. But this coming from a nutter with 24 tanks...

I'm setting up five tanks plus a betta tank for my school. They want something pretty and alive on display in the science classrooms. I have talked them into doing this properly, as the original plan (I think) was to set them up on some ancient air driven filters and overstock them, without cycling. :crazy:

I've so far given them about five pages of printed information (on why they have to do things like cycle). They've taken me at my word and asked me to do it for them, so I'm getting together a big order of stuff to come in next week. I'm getting in their supplies of things like nets, buckets, old towels, filtration parts etc. They want the tanks to be as uncomplicated as is possible... they've got me to look after them for two years, but after that one of the teachers or another student will have to do it. Fortunately I'm here to handle the fishless cycle, which luckily only has to be done once.

The species I'm planning on using are white clouds, zebra danios, platys, small corys, black neons, leeri gouramis, gold panchax, harlequins, maybe bristlenose. I'm also considering Bolivian butterflies. Obviously, none of this is set in concrete and I may not use all of these fish because I'd just run out of space. The tanks are smallish but there are five of them.

I want to try and keep the feeding relatively uncomplicated, so there isn't too much to remember. A weekly feed of frozen bloodworm for each tank should be okay. I've got Hikari bio-gold for the betta, and i can just keep the pellets in a little bottle next to his tank and that's not too hard to remember.

Now for the rest of them. I've got bottom feeder wafers for the corys and bristlenose. I'd like to try and keep it to only a few other feeds so it isn't too complicated. If I have two or three bottles beside each tank it should work.

Here's what I'm tossing up (I'm going for quality here):
New life spectrum community fish formula (1mm sinking pellets)
New life spectrum Optimum (flakes)
New life spectrum small fish formula (0.5mm sinking pellets)

Normally I'd just go for community formula but I can't get hold of their surface feeder pellets, and I'm also worried about the WCMM - would they be able to take a 1mm pellet?

Also can anybody tell me what the difference is between Small Fish Formula and Grow? I can't find a nutritional analysis for any of the NLS food on their website. I'm assuming that since Grow is intended for juveniles it would be a greater lipid content, but I'd like to know this for sure before I make a decision because the food is so darn expensive.

Thanks guys!

Ime dainichi is much better then nls. My fish like it better and I've gotten much better growth and color results with dainichi.

Have you tried NLS. As far as growth, you need to find a food with a high protien content. For color, something with salmon skin or sprinula in it.

Bahahahahah. Of xourse I've tried nls, otherwise I'd have no base of comparison. And quite frankly, ime dainichi has much better formulas for both growth and coloration with very similar content to new lifes formulas.
I currentlt keep a stock of dainichi and hikari foods as well as some japanese brands that most people have never heard of. And I couldn't be happier with this regimen. And my fish definitely agree.
Once switching from nls to dainichi, I would never go back.

Most reactions

trending

Back