Need help!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Recently i had the idea of keeping a house gecko as a pet, so i'd been on the lookout for one around my home. Today i found one, it appears to be only a baby as it is about 1 inch long. But it has a big problem, it's leg appears to be broken :( . So anyway, i brought it in and put it in a little enclosure by itself so that it could calm down and stuff. So does anyone here know how i can help this little guy? Releasing him isnt an option, his leg is limp, he probably cant hunt for a while.

:-(

P.T.

The only thing I can think of that you can do is to just keep him in as stress-free of an environment as possible, away from any sort of noise or activity that might make him try to run which could be detrimental to him right now. Make sure that he has plenty of vitamin/calcium supplements in his diet to help him mend. A UVB light is also essential; without UVB lizards can't turn calcium into bone, so if he doesn't have one, no amount of calcium in his diet is going to do him any good and he might never heal.

What kind of setup do you have for him?

Its in a really makeshift place at the moment, just a barebottom 2g. And also, i read on several websites that this is a nocturnal gecko, and so it has developed ways to use calcium without UV light.

I have misted one corner of the tank so it can get water if it needs it. Heating and humidity isnt a problem, considering where i live.

P.T.

Nocturnal is good! But yeah, try to get him out of the 2g ASAP. He'll feel a lot more comfortable in a larger terrarium with plenty hiding places so that he doesn't feel out in the open.

Try to get it to a vet, but in the meantime feed it (Small insects, like flies or pinhead crickets) and keep it as healthy as possible :nod: I've seen lizards with missing legs, although they weren't arboreal geckos -_-

Thanks for the advice guys :nod:

I'm afraid taking it to a vet is a no go, my parents just aren't bothered about a lizard which you can find everywhere around here, and i don't have the money to pay the fees or anything.

In the meantime, i don't really have any space for a terrarium of any sorts, but i am going to add lots of stuff in to make it cluttery so that it can hide in some remote unseen corner. Feeding won't be much of a problem, just wondering if i can feed it the larger sized ants?

P.T.

No, it isn't. Because technically it isn't wild, it lives in homes. You can find at least 10 in every house, so it's not even close to endangered. And i believe malaysian laws state that only protected species are illegal.

P.T.

I just found this post, poor little guy PT!
I wouldn't feed it larger ants with a broken leg, cause if he doens't eat them, the ants will pick at the gecko.
I think everyone else has said what I would recomend, so I am not going to repeat everyone :nod:
Did you try calling a vet and asking what he might recommend to go?
Also is there a reptile sanctuary that might be able to help the little guy?
Good luck and keep us posted! :D

Hey EG :)

Well, i didn't get to see your post so i went right ahead with the ants, and the lizard ate them! It seems to be moving around, but can't move fast because of it's leg. I also saw a little poopy in there, so i assume that's a good sign :D

P.T.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back