Need Help

reeeedfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I will soon be getting a 55 gallon tank and stocking suggestions. I have one fish that will go in there now matter what. It is a rhino pleco. I plan on putting: 2 rope fish, 1 rhino pleco, 1 african knife and 2 african butterfly fish. And mabye a striped raphael catfish. No small tetras or anything normal please! And ps. I love oddballs and ropefish.
 
Anyone? And rope fish only grow 18 inches in captivity and African Knifes 8 inches.
 
how about a shark? like a rainbow or red tail? IMO rainbows r less agressive. and plus they aren't too normal.
 
You can see my 55g in my sig -- it's similar to what you're thinking. Have only had it for a few months, but here's what I would say:

A. Knife: If it's the Brown, I've read they usually get to 8-12" and are fine in a 55. Mine's about 5" now and very neat.
Senegal Bichir: GREAT fish, also ok in a 55 from what I've read, lots of personality
Leaf Fish (ctenopoma acutirostre): Also great (I'm a fan of anabantids)
Upside-Down Catfish: I think one of the smaller Syno cats, might not work with a pleco and raphael unless you have a lot of caves
Congo Tetras: Very active by day, which is nice, but a little rowdy. I sometimes think I should have skipped them, but then my tank would look pretty empty..

I also had a butterfly fish that lasted 3 days -- I'm guessing just some bad stock.

Happy fish keeping!
 
Hey, thanks joel.uejio but I wonder, my lfs says that senagal bichirs are D compatability while my other fish I plan on getting are b/c! Does anyone know if senegal bichirs are aggressive?
 
... D compatability ... b/c ...

Is that a system for fish compatibility? I'm not familiar with it, so can't comment. :shifty:

I think senegals also only get 8-12" and are peaceful to anything they can't eat. I'm sure if you did some searches for "bichir", you would see what others keep with theirs.
 
So, ok, howabout 1 senagal bichir, 2 rope fish, 1 african knife, 1 rhino pleco and 2 butterfly fish? And yes, it is a system of compatibility. The closer the letter is to z the more aggressive the fish is. Your supposed to pick fish wiithin the same letters. :dunno: But how does my idea sound to you guys.
 
Thanks everybody! I decided on 1 senagal bichir, 2 rope fish, 1 african knifefish, 1 rhino pleco, and 2 african Butterfly fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top