Need Help With Neon Tetra Disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:
Reaction score
I've been treating this for a while now, and no signs of improvement.

Water stats
Ammonia=0ish
Nitrite=0ish
Nitrate=60ish (tap water levels)

should i put the little devils to sleep or carry on trying to cure them? really not sure
noexpression.gif

Everything I've read about this says that it's not curable and the best way to treat it is to quarantine the diseased fish to prevent spreading.
:#

l_l_l said:
Everything I've read about this says that it's not curable and the best way to treat it is to quarantine the diseased fish to prevent spreading.
smile2.gif
fair enough then, i'll keep them in quarantine and see how they go, many thanks

I had a neon with all the signs of NTD.  Curved back, losing color, refusing to school etc.  At the time I wasn't doing any real research online and left him in the tank.  He's still alive and that was almost a year ago.  His color has come back and he swims with the school again, but his back is terribly bent.  I'm not saying to take them out of quarantine and everything will be fine, but if they don't die it may not be NTD.  I've read that neon's will sometimes get some of these signs of NTD from inbreeding.  I guess the bad genetics can accumulate over time in some fish. 

As the article I linked states:

Unfortunately for the aquarist several other diseases can cause similar symptoms to neon tetra disease, including systemic bacterial infections, chronically poor diet and/or environmental conditions, and even old age. Some aquarists have coined the term “false neon tetra disease” to refer to bacterial infections with broadly similar symptoms.

Which is why quarantine, not immediate euthanization, is a better solution.  If it IS NTD, the death should occur quickly... if it lives for a while, then its probably something else.

might not be then, they seem happy enough, but a little thin/curved, then again, i've had them for well over a year and they were adults when i got them..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back