need help with floating lions' head fish

Davy Reynolds

The First Ever Member
Reaction score
Hanks orignal topic was corrupted. I've resubmitted it here..

Hank wrote:
Our lion's head fish has difficulty with staying down in the water. It keeps floating to the surface of the acquarium. It uses a lot of energy to swim and stay down, so that once in a while it even goes belly up or floats on the side. It's eating o.k. It just keeps floating to the surface. It's a strong fish. How do we treat it?
We have a 200 gallon fresh water aquarium with about thirty tropical fish: angel fish, gold fish, lion's head, etc. :(
Then in Reply
Davy wrote:
Welcome to board Hank, I wish it was on better terms. Ā 

Can I ask a few questions. Firstly is there any signs of a swollen belly, where the scales are petruding, or any dis-colouring around the gills. Also if there is anything else unusual. Sudden tempature changes, just anything that comes to mind.
This will help

Hi Davy,
Thanks for reacting. Yes, we did notice that the lion's head goldfish does have a swollen belly. We just thought it ate too much. Also the orange on it's belly, in some places, turned to silver and in one place even that has gone. We have isolated it in another aquarium and then took a good look at it. Now we are trying to feed it frozen peas to serve as a laxative, if in case she is constipated. For two days now we have only been feeding it about 5 to 6 peas. It is doing better. This morning (March 20) we noticed that it is swimming like normal not floating to the surface anymore. What did it have and did the frozen peas do the trick? We want to keep it one more day under observation. We do not know how to tell if she is 'un'constipated or if it is completely cured. We appreciate your reply. Thank you, masha danki, all the way from Aruba.
Hank & Ava :)

If you used peas and it did the trick your fish was constipated. Did you notice any big poopies in the tank with the Lionhead this morning? If not then I would make sure the tank has a bare bottom (no rocks or decorations in the tank just the fish and water) and keep feeding peas till you see a good poop. Once you do then if you don't notice anything else you can then put him back in his home. Rose 8)

Yeah sounds like you cracked it. You should know by looking at the fish it it's all better as they return to a healthy looking self. Just give a few more days and see how things are :)

thursday 21st

I have not seen any poop yet. So i'll take your advice and keep it in the tank isolated a little while longer. It is still staying down, not floating. We still have it on a pea diet, if we don't see any signs of it defecating, then we will try the bath with epsom salts. Thank you.
Hank & Ava

Most reactions

Back