Need Help With Fish In Cycle ,please

maisy12345

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi ,i`ve been doing daily 60 percent water changes for over seven weeks now ,and everythings ` been at 0,except for ph at 7.0-7.2 and ammonia 0.25-0.50,but last night when i tested my water it was the following.
Ammonia 0.25
High range ph 8.8[normally 7.4]
ph 7.2
nitrite 0
nitrate5.0
Please could you tell me whats` wrong ,is it because my fish in cycle is coming to an end?

If that's the first time you've had a reading for nitrate, then that's good sign that your cycle might be ending.

Don't get too hung about the pH; tanks are sometimes prone to odd pH fluctuations due to carbon dioxide concentration and other things. Just keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening we'll have to look into it further. Have you added any new decorations or anything?

Hi,Fluttermoth,thanks for your reply,yes i have added a new teracotta pot ,from the lfs though,a couple of days ago.Would this be making a difference ,if so will it harm the fish ,as i`ll remove it if need be ,just thought i would provide extra cover for my shrimps ?

It shouldn't be the pot, terracotta is normally quite safe. Maybe take it out and see if the pH goes back down?

Hi everyone ,have just retested water,after water change last night and the results are.
ammonia 0.25
high ph 7.4 [back down ]
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 [back down]
ph 7.2
That`s very strange ,has anybody got any explanations for this?

A water change is the primary method of removing nitrates... so, that makes sense. The reading is probably between 0 and 5.

Most reactions

Back