Need Help With Dreamweaver

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm currently using Dreamweaver for a project i've been given and i'm working in frames...
I have an index page and now want to insert a new page. Should I just duplicate the index page? The problem is when I just insert new page it doesn't come up with the frames like it's supposed to!

Also, if I just duplicate then for some reason, whenever you link to the duplicated page from one of the frames then it shows up in the frame rather than the actual main page - IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE! :hey:

thanks! :rolleyes:

QUICK ANSWER - make sure you set the target! Put the cursor on the link an dlook at the properties - set the target frame you want! _top = top of page, _blank = new window... other ones in there should be your frames, choose the one you want and the page will open in that frame ;)

LONG WINDED ANSWER

You should work only on individidual pages for preference when working with frames. Best thing you can do is this:

Make a standard frames blank project
Call the frames page frameset or something similar

Now, each frame name carefully. I typically call mine top, [/b]left[/b] or nav and main or mainFrame.

Im hoping that the position of these is obvious ;)

Now, simply make a blank page and edit it outside the frameset. Make sure that your navigation buttons point to not only the correct page name (copy and paste the original main.html document and just rename it for quickness) but also open in the correct frame. This is done my making the hyperlink in the navigation frame, make sure the cursor is on it by clicking on it, look to the properties at the bottom for _target and point it to main or mainFrame or whatever your called your target area.

If you want to see your site in frames to modify things then open frameset.html, do your modifications and then close it when youre done. use the preview in browser function or PUT (upload) the website if you want to see how it really looks in the frames.

Using a frameset to modify frames pages can sometimes lead to the accidental chaning of frame names, widths, properties... lots of things. Use the tabbed open individual frame contents rather than the frames page itself ;)

I made this site a few hours ago in frames using this exact same technique - the source code is free for you to see: http://www.brinkplan.nl/hulp

Hope that helped ;)

*edited to be short and long winded*

No - I still can't get it...
Actaully getting another page - is the hard part. I duplicate the index page (frameset) and re-name it and it then says "The file associated with this document has been deleted" - and I haven't even done anything!

Dont duplicate the frameset. You need to make copies of individual pages...

The framset page is the homepage but it contains ONLY the frame information. The actual website is, technically, several webpages being shown simultaniously, one in each frame.

You need a frameset and pages to go in each frame. Copy the pages and youll be fine.

Got the new page sorted - now there's a problem with the linking.

You mentioned about the link location etc.

The only options i've got are
_blank
_parent
_self
_top

Hmm... I think that this will be because Dreamweaver isnt aware that youre working on a whole site and think youre just modifying a page. If youve got your frames working then you can just type the frame names right in there manually.

If you want to get everything sorted properly though you need to Open a web project in Dreamweaver. File - Open and select the folder that contains your website and hopefully Dreamweaver will recognise what youre trying to do.

If this doesnt work then open up a new Dreamweaver window and, in the page at the start, at the bottom-middle click Create New Dreamweaver site. Go through the wixard and then simply drag and drop your files into the explorer window on the right (if you use designer mode).

Ok, if you can see the files then you may be able to quickle create a new site for them.

At the top of the little file browser window, theres a drop down box. Click Manage Sites and see waht you can do there. Chances are you can compile the pages into a single site. After this, if you right click on the frames page and make it be your homepage, you will probably be able to use the frames in that frameset for automatic targets.

Most reactions

Back