Need help finding out what type of fish this is.

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At my work there is a 30 (approx.) tank with a few fish in it. I've never seen any of them but I'm trying to find out what one of them is. It's body reminds my a a bala shark, it's body is a light black/dark charcoal color with all fins kind of a dark red color. The reason I'm posting in this room is because up by it's mouth it has (I think) for "feelers" that look like what wild catfish have. It's fairly big fish..6-7" long and is really, reeeeally shy. It stays in this little rock cave most of the time and doesn't like to come out while people are around. Anyone have any ideas?
-Josh

Sounds like a rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos erythrurus/frenatus),if you have trouble finding a picture of one to compare it to let me know and i'll post one for you :)

Yep it does sound like a rainbow, and a fully grown one to! B)

Do u know what else is in with him as these are normally quite aggressive little buggers! :devil:

Well there's only four other fish with him, one white fish a little bigger than a silver dollar (the actual coin) with long fins 1.5", one type of algae eater about 1.25", and two types of tetras that I haven't seen before about 1-1.25", and a big corydora that has the coloring similar to a rain trout. Out of all of these the rainbow shark is extremely shy. Just sits in his cave when I walk in the room and sit still to wait for him to come out. I'm trying to find out who takes care of him so I can make sure they're actually taken care of. I'll try and find a picture and make sure that's what it is. What type of food is best for this fish? Thanks.
-Josh

Yeah, it is a rainbow. Just went on to a few websites and read about it and saw pictures. Thanks for your help. Now I really want one for a community tank I'm setting up. :D
-Josh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back