need answers on gouramis

laurasmithuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi all. have go a juwel rekord 96 tank that hold 96 litres. am looking to have dwarf gourami but now sure if tank is big enough and what they are compatible with?? was told by lfs best thing would be tetras with gouramis. also are gouramis easy breeders cuz i dont want many babies..... :p cheers all

My 2 M&F honey dwarfs are currently housed with 5 neon tetras, 2 coryadora, and 3 otocinclids, no problems from them. though I'm not sure exactly how regular dwarfs act. currently housed in a 20 US gallon.

Gauramis need special conditions to spwan, lower water levels, floating plants, low current at the surface, lots of hidy holes for the female, then if they do happen to spawn, the female should be taken out quickly, the male takes care of the fry, then once the fry start wondering about you take the male out too.

but were trying to avoid that so if you want, keep the water level close to the surface, and keep a nice current going at the surface, that should stave thigns off.

FYI, My honeys have taken to trying to bring plants to the surface to slow the current down, I think.

Female dwarfs might now be a pretty as males, but keeping just girls or one male might be the option for you if you don't want to worry about babies.

I keep the 3-spot varieties and Pearls and have all girls for that reason.

P.

I think about 3 to 4" or so. So should be fine in a 96 litre.
I had a male and a female, but eventually had to re-home the female as the male chased her constantly -there were plenty of hiding places, but she hardly ever dared venture out - apparantly this is not unusual.

Most reactions

Back