Need advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Iā€™m back. Iā€™ve been gone for a while because things got super, super crazy in my life for a while, but things have calmed down a little now. I need some advice and I have some questions that I was hoping yā€™all could help me with.

First off, over my break, I lost all but one of my yearling platies. I lost my second to last one in a freak accident where the intake tube to my filter came apart, leaving an open exposed intake tube. You can imagine the rest. My remaining one is currently in my 30g bow front tank all by herself with only a snail for company. I havenā€™t run the filter since I lost the other one, but Iā€™ve tested the water recently and because sheā€™s so small and thereā€™s a bunch of Val and Anubis, there hasnā€™t been any issues with the parameters. My question is, is it healthy for her to be by herself? My parents want me to not get anymore fish, and when I lose this one, to get a betta instead, but Iā€™m concerned that Mistyā€™s quality of life is poor because she is all by herself. Do I try to convince my parents that she needs at least a couple (2-3) friends?

That brings me to my next question. Is there a way to reduce the number of water changes I would need to do if I added more fish? There is plenty of jungle Val in there, plus a piece of driftwood and a rock with a bit of Anubis each. If I add more plants, am I able to only do a water change once or twice a month? Iā€™m just so busy right now, Iā€™m unable to do more than that I think. But because the tank is so big, I was thinking I would be ok if I only added a couple more fish. Am I correct in my line of thought?

Also, any advice on how to stop my intake tube from coming apart again would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™ll attach a picture of it later today, as I am out of the house and will be for a while. Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone, Iā€™m back. Iā€™ve been gone for a while because things got super, super crazy in my life for a while, but things have calmed down a little now. I need some advice and I have some questions that I was hoping yā€™all could help me with.

First off, over my break, I lost all but one of my yearling platies. I lost my second to last one in a freak accident where the intake tube to my filter came apart, leaving an open exposed intake tube. You can imagine the rest. My remaining one is currently in my 30g bow front tank all by herself with only a snail for company. I havenā€™t run the filter since I lost the other one, but Iā€™ve tested the water recently and because sheā€™s so small and thereā€™s a bunch of Val and Anubis, there hasnā€™t been any issues with the parameters. My question is, is it healthy for her to be by herself? My parents want me to not get anymore fish, and when I lose this one, to get a betta instead, but Iā€™m concerned that Mistyā€™s quality of life is poor because she is all by herself. Do I try to convince my parents that she needs at least a couple (2-3) friends?

That brings me to my next question. Is there a way to reduce the number of water changes I would need to do if I added more fish? There is plenty of jungle Val in there, plus a piece of driftwood and a rock with a bit of Anubis each. If I add more plants, am I able to only do a water change once or twice a month? Iā€™m just so busy right now, Iā€™m unable to do more than that I think. But because the tank is so big, I was thinking I would be ok if I only added a couple more fish. Am I correct in my line of thought?

Also, any advice on how to stop my intake tube from coming apart again would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™ll attach a picture of it later today, as I am out of the house and will be for a while. Thanks everyone!
i would get at least another platy, but maybe when the little one grows bigger.
I've had an old pair of swordtail once and they lived by themselves for a few years without having any fry

Nice to have you back on TFF.

If you will have difficulty doing necessary maintenance, like weekly water changes, then you should not acquire any more fish. While plants help with water quality, there is still aneed for water changes to do what plants cannot do, and the more fish the more essential this beecomes.

As for the lone platy needing "friends," I very much doubt it cares. Shoaling fish (tetras and such) need a group because they are genetically programmed to be in a shoal for safety at the very least, and we know they have increased aggressive behaviours when they do not have sufficient fish of their own species in with them.. This is not a need that platies have from that perspective.

I'm afraid the fewer water change question is a bit like the 'can I get a dog but never take it outside' question. There is no honest answer except to say you do what you have to do, when you should do it.

A little plumber's tape might help with the filter.

I had the privilege of watching wild platys in the Belize River, and while they weren't a fish that would try to shoal, they were social. They were in small groups of 5-6 fish. Friends? I doubt they cared, but they were very aware of where each other was. I expect your platy would be fine on her own until you can get your free time under control and be ready to pay attention to the tank on a more regular basis.

Thank you everyone!
I do know that I will still need to do water changes, but with only 2-3 platies in a tall, planted, 30g tank, would it be possible to reduce them from once a week to once every two weeks or so? If not, does anyone have any tips to made water changes faster/easier? Currently I am using a siphon, emptying it into a 3g bucket, and emptying it into the sink. I then use a pitcher to fill up a 5g bucket and empty that bucket into the tank using a cup until I can lift the bucket.

I have a 50 gallon set up with like 2/3 water 1/3 land and a bunch of plant planted on the land. In the water I don't have many plants. I have a small colony of Amano Shrimp, 2 Synodontis Catfish, 2 Bettas, a ton of Guppy's, pond snails, and a colony of springtails.

I test my water all the time and there's never anything wrong. My water never gets cloudy, and the bottom stays relatively clear of debris. I only do water changes like once every 2 months just to make sure there isn't too many trace things that I can't detect.

Don't know if this info helps any, but thought it might

I have a 50 gallon set up with like 2/3 water 1/3 land and a bunch of plant planted on the land. In the water I don't have many plants. I have a small colony of Amano Shrimp, 2 Synodontis Catfish, 2 Bettas, a ton of Guppy's, pond snails, and a colony of springtails.

I test my water all the time and there's never anything wrong. My water never gets cloudy, and the bottom stays relatively clear of debris. I only do water changes like once every 2 months just to make sure there isn't too many trace things that I can't detect.

Don't know if this info helps any, but thought it might

Only changing water when any test(s) show problems is leaving it way too late. Humans like all animals need fresh air, and fish need fresh water. You might find the information in my article on this subject useful.

Thank you everyone!
I do know that I will still need to do water changes, but with only 2-3 platies in a tall, planted, 30g tank, would it be possible to reduce them from once a week to once every two weeks or so? If not, does anyone have any tips to made water changes faster/easier? Currently I am using a siphon, emptying it into a 3g bucket, and emptying it into the sink. I then use a pitcher to fill up a 5g bucket and empty that bucket into the tank using a cup until I can lift the bucket.

I'll answer the first question with another: are you concerned over the health of your fish? If yes, then the more water changes the better. Now, as to trying to pin down just how much for one fish in this or that sized tank with this or that plant...forget it. Get in the habit of a regular (= once a week) water change, of a volume that will actually benefit. A Python will help with the bucket issue.

Only changing water when any test(s) show problems is leaving it way too late. Humans like all animals need fresh air, and fish need fresh water. You might find the information in my article on this subject useful.
There isn't anything ever wrong on my tests is what I said...

There isn't anything ever wrong on my tests is what I said...

Yes, but I know many will take that to mean they can forget water changes if tests are "OK." Though what "OK" actually means depends upon the individual. For example, you said "there's never anything wrong," but you absolutely do not know that. None of us can.

And bubblers have nothing to do with clean water. Please read the article, it is part of the learning experience we all need to have healthy fish.

I don't know if you actually read what I said or if you just wanted to start an argument. I promise my fish are as healthy as they get. I've been doing this for 10+ years. I specifically stated I still do water changes just because of the stuff I "absolutely do not know about".
Oh and bubblers definitely help out the water quality. I've got freshwater and saltwater tanks set up and don't have any issues with anything. I also run a small breeding/distributing business online.

You cannot say your fish are as healthy as they get unless you can talk to them, and none of us can do that either. Read the blue citation in my signature. This is one of the problems in this hobby, we do what we think is sufficient but the fish have a complex physiology and many do not understand, a relationship with their (aquatic) environment that is significantly more critical than that of any terrestrial animal.

Bubblers have nothing really to do with water changes because they are addressing different factors.

You stated you do a water change every two months to deal with what you can't see. That is simply not sufficient. What you cannot see, that water changes deal with, occur every minute of every day.

And, I am still learning much, even with 30 years behind me in this hobby. It is knowledge more than experience that is a key to success.

Last edited:
You can obvs keep saying what you want. But you don't know me, and you don't know my fish. As far as I'm concerned, each person needs to figure out what works for them. Just because I don't do a water change every week dosent mean my fish aren't happy and healthy.

No easy way to say this... water changes are a must. You could get by with less water changes if your bio-load was very small.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back