Need Advice!

wackystarfish

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
550
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Blackpool
Hey, i was walking into St.Annes today, and in this wierd little shop they had this Biorb (i think it is the big one) in the window. The bubbles were coming out of the middle tube, so i assume the filter was working and there was no visable leakage. I think it is one of the bigger sizes of Bi-orb. Now, heres the price...
£25!!!!
I know they are usually alot more expensive... Should i go for it?? What are the pro's and con's of biorbs?
Thanks,
Finlay
 
Pro's: I've got nothing. Assuming its a 60L tank, you could get one second hand with substrate and filter for that price, so I'm less inclined to say price even.
Possibly looks if you like them.

Con's: Small surface area which doesn't help the gas exchange.
(In my opinion) Ugly.
Distorted view of the fish due to the shape.

I'm not a fan of biorbs, does it show?

All mickey taking aside, it may be worth grabbing as a QT tank perhaps.
 
I agree with tenohfive - there are no pros about Bi-Orbs.

Cons:

Poor surface area (as already mentioned)
Weak filtration
Nowhere for a background, meaning the fish will suffer from exposure stress
Distorted viewing
Substrate is too sharp for bottom-dwellers
The filtration system/substrate isn't suitable for plant rooting, so choice of plants are limited to floating plants, plants such as hornwort and elodea and/or plants that root to rocks or wood,
Tiny amount of swimming space compared to similar sized regular tanks
The choice of fish suitable for Bi-Orbs are tiny shoaling fish such as neon/glowlight tetras (and even then, you're limited to about 6), or Siamese Fighting Fish. Anything much bigger than that will be in a death-trap.
 
I have recently (within the last 3 days) got rid of my biorb and setup a proper fish tank which is a LOT better and my fish seem a lot happier.

STEAR well clear of biorbs, trust me.. they are horrid, the filter system is under the middle, which means when you need to get to it or clean it in anyway, you have no choice but to pull the filter out which in turn makes the whole tank disgusting within a few minutes (= unhappy fish!)...

I wouldn't bother, put the £25 towards a good fish tank, you'll end up a lot more satisfied, that.. and you can actually SEE what the fish are doing in the tank, biorb is VERY limited in space, and view.
 
i am not new to fish keeping. I have a 30 and 10 gal allready. I just saw it at a low price and wondered what you lot thought, thats all.
 
yes i would go for it, and keep some beautiful tetras in there, i have the 3 sizes and i adore them all, and they are no harder than other " normal" tanks to maintain, but a lot hrder to get the stocking right, i have guppies in my 60L and a male betta in my 30L and some plants in my 15L

shelagh xx

excellent price, i paid a lot more for a my 30l and that was used - has it got the heater ,light etc, as these can bump up the price if you have to go and buy them
 
I would just save my money if i were you, or just spend that money on some more fish. Have fun cleaning the algae off the sides through the little hole if you do decide to buy it :crazy:
 
i am not new to fish keeping. I have a 30 and 10 gal allready. I just saw it at a low price and wondered what you lot thought, thats all.

I'd get a proper second hand tank for the money, call me cynical buts its cheap for a reason. No-ones suggesting you're new to the hobby, alot of new people do buy them though. Aside from anything else I don't like the flexibility-you use their gear, or nothing. I like being able to set my tank up the way I want it with the kit I want in it - and not be restricted by stock fittings.

I've not had any practical experiences with them though and a couple of people who have posted have had them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top