Need A New Filter Pump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Villy Valley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

You may remember from yesterdays post that I have upgraded today to a new 72 litre tank for my fancy goldfish. I collect a secondhand tank last night and have spent all afternoon up to now changing over tanks. Unfortunately the filter system that came with the tank isn't working and so I am looking to buy a new one tomorrow. I have my old fluval filter pump in at the moment but it is from the old 29 litre tank and so I know it is not man enough for the job - I was planning to run it with the new filter for 2 weeks for the friendly bacteria to be maintained. It is a cold water set up and so what sort of pump should I get for the new tank?

Thanks

Villy Valley

Don't worry. -_- Just done a google search and it suggest a tank that is 45-90 Litres will need a Fluval 2 plus. I guess this is a good as any other on the market so I will get one tomorrow.

Villy Valley

are you looking for an air pump? personally id use a power filter but thats just me. i like whisper brand filters, they have a warrenty and are made to last! im not sure if your looking for the brand name or type but hope i help :)

Don't worry. -_- Just done a google search and it suggest a tank that is 45-90 Litres will need a Fluval 2 plus. I guess this is a good as any other on the market so I will get one tomorrow.

Villy Valley

Generally speaking, always get a filter that will pump far more gallons efficiently than your current ammount of gallons, particually if it is a goldfish tank you will need a strong filter as goldfish are big waste producing fish, so i would get a fluval 3 or 4 rather than a 2 :good: .

Ok I will look at the 3. The Fluval 2 is supposed to be up to 90 litres and I only have 72 - would that not be enough? I know what you mean about the amount of waste produced :crazy:

Villy

I use a fluval 3 plus for my 60 litre tank and it does it a great job, always good to over filter :good:

Only down side is its quite large, i keep the flow nozzle about 1cm below the waterline and the base of the filter just about touches the gravel.

Always remeber its easier to underfilter than to over filter. I had 265 gallons of filtration on a 32 gallon tank before. Yes it was way over kill for most but i had that tank packed.

Hi

Took your advice and got a Fluval 3. It's great and the fish love the fast flow - even though it is on minimum setting. Water is crystal clear today so will keep them running in tandum for 2 weeks and then take out my old Fluval 1. The fish seem so much more active in the bigger tank - I sit and watch them for hours - brill. I will put a picture on soon so that you can see and advise me if I need to do anything else.

Villy

Hi

Took your advice and got a Fluval 3. It's great and the fish love the fast flow - even though it is on minimum setting. Water is crystal clear today so will keep them running in tandum for 2 weeks and then take out my old Fluval 1. The fish seem so much more active in the bigger tank - I sit and watch them for hours - brill. I will put a picture on soon so that you can see and advise me if I need to do anything else.

Villy

Glad you like the new filter, having more filtration for the fish is generally more bennificial as it'll help keep the tank cleaner too and help add more oxygen to the water (which is very important for the goldfish) :good: .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back