Native Snails And Shrimp In My Country

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So recently I planned to go to a waterfall to gather shrimps, plants and snails. What methods could you teach me to catch shrimp? I have seen a few babaulti shrimps there during an outing. Also seen some rainbowshrimp and a few stiphodon species and a few plant species like riccia and some sort of moss. Hope for a reply

Are you planning on putting them in an empty tank? If not I'd be wary of adding stuff into a tank in case you introduce diseases or unwanted pests. I've dont that in the past with plants from a local pond.

When wild collecting always make sure it is first legal to collect from where you intend to and that what you are collecting are not listed as endangered or protected.
You could try using a dilly pot (well thats what they call them here) submerged baited with tempting food to get shrimp and fish.
Something like this 
 http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/mesh-bait-catching-trap.html?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc
You could try just skimming a net  similar to your normal fish tank nets through thick weed and under/ around logs to catch shrimp and possibly net interesting snails.
Or you could actively lift rocks and things, positioning the net in such a way that when the rock is lifted anything hiding under it goes into the net, this is how we used to catch crawchies/ yabbies.
Ideally you should test the water gH and pH also temperature where you are collecting the shrimp/ fish etc to make sure you can either replicate the conditions at home or gradually convert the fish/ shrimp over to your water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back