The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Mikeyboy123

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hi,

Iā€™m currently cycling an 18 litre nano with a modified box filter but Iā€™ve decided the filter is just too big and obtrusive and so Iā€™m looking for a mini internal filter instead. I canā€™t go for a HOB as it just wonā€™t work with my tank cover.

It needs to be small and have adjustable flow rate as I find a lot of these mini internals are a bit on the powerful side for such a small tank. I also intend to have a bit of a play with the filter media as I will want to be using some rowaphos, so there has to be some flexibility there; Iā€™m quite happy to cut up sponges and jury rig something for this.

would be grateful for any recommendations.

thanks

You would not want an HOB here, as it will create way too much current. Fish suited to nano tanks are primarily sedate not active swimmers. I will assume plants will be included, at least floating.

I would go with a single sponge filter. Needs a pump, so if you want to avoid that, something like the Aqueon Quiet Flow, in the smallest size, would work. I have two of these and like them. You can adjust the flow, and aim it against an end wall to reduce the current even further. Photos below. I use these as "sponge" filters, in that I never replace the media (I think it's carbon, but after a time it is just "media"), just rinse them under the tap at each water change.

Attachments

• Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter2.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 38
You would not want an HOB here, as it will create way too much current. Fish suited to nano tanks are primarily sedate not active swimmers. I will assume plants will be included, at least floating.

I would go with a single sponge filter. Needs a pump, so if you want to avoid that, something like the Aqueon Quiet Flow, in the smallest size, would work. I have two of these and like them. You can adjust the flow, and aim it against an end wall to reduce the current even further. Photos below. I use these as "sponge" filters, in that I never replace the media (I think it's carbon, but after a time it is just "media"), just rinse them under the tap at each water change.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, Iā€™m planning on planting the tank. I like the look of that filter so will give it some serious consideration.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back