Name 5 Fish

The problem is that "in nature" there would be a miniscule number of fish who would thrive in that water, more likely to be none at all

I think people, especially those very early on in their fishkeeping experience, tend to believe that all fish in the LFS are happy to "tolerate" that water

They rarely understand that tolerating is nowhere near to actually thriving

A fish that is tolerating its water is using a certain amount of its own immunity, strength and general fitness to be OK or tolerant. By virtue of doing so they are losing some of their ability to fight illness, disease and in many cases their lifespan can suffer

A fish can live in any water pH, any hardness etc but it won't live its best life, its healthiest life or its longest life if that water is not the exact water that it needs to thrive

I can't remember who it was I said this to on here but it is far better to match your water to the fish and not force the fish to live in your water just cos the LFS says it can live in any water type cos that is frankly impossible and cos you don't know what damage to the fish you could be doing, especially if you have to resort to using all sorts of stuff to deal with the pH and hardness etc to replicate the right combination.

It is why I use bottled water, it means I can control the water and its stabilised water without needing buffers and other stuff thus its suited to a wider variety of fish and safer for the fish than what is coming from the tap....and my fish thrive, they are disease free, breed like rabbits and they live long lives.

I do wish LFS would stop saying a fish can live in pH 6 to 8+ cos they don't, you need to find their sweet spot. Just cos a fish "can live" and "can tolerate" does not mean it is thriving.

My fish breed in soft water with a PH of 8.1-8.2... The eggs will hatch soon actually! Their peacock gudgeons. Maybe add that one to the list... And I think its funny you had to ask on here to answer my question 😅... (Wasn't saying that in a rude way)

My fish breed in soft water with a PH of 8.1-8.2... The eggs will hatch soon actually! Their peacock gudgeons. Maybe add that one to the list... And I think its funny you had to ask on here to answer my question 😅... (Wasn't saying that in a rude way)
What is more interesting is that nobody has answered the question. I wonder why that is.

I honestly never saw this thread until I was searching through your posts LOL... So maybe a lot have not seen it just like I haven't
What is more interesting is that nobody has answered the question. I wonder why that is.

It has been bumped up the list now, so come on people name five fish
Yup, that's part of the reason I responded.

If someone does list 5, I can walk away knowing I'm not the only one out there who does this although I do still know someone who does... And if no one responds, well I got living proof and peace in my mind that its alright

Yup, that's part of the reason I responded.

If someone does list 5, I can walk away knowing I'm not the only one out there who does this although I do still know someone who does... And if no one responds, well I got living proof and peace in my mind that its alright
Only that, I believe they are rotting from the inside out and will be dead in less than a year. So, if they are still alive this time next year, I will concede that you can keep soft water fish in a pH of 8.1-8.2. Watch this space.

Is there a reason you are asking..? Is this your water parameters…?

I’m Googling and other than the standard, “most fish will adapt if drip acclimatised…” I can’t see anything being recommended for over Ph8.

I’m Googling and other than the standard, “most fish will adapt if drip acclimatised…” I can’t see anything being recommended for over Ph8.
Keep looking. Rocky gave me this challenge, I said there aren't any. But he says there are his gudgeons for one.

Only that, I believe they are rotting from the inside out and will be dead in less than a year. So, if they are still alive this time next year, I will concede that you can keep soft water fish in a pH of 8.1-8.2. Watch this space.
If they we're rotting from the inside out they would be showing obvious signs of stress and not breeding.

Their my water params. My tap is as follows GH: 3 and PH: 8.1-8.2... He was asking to answer my direct question to him in a separate thread

I do know of two other fish off the top of my head that can be kept in these conditions actually...

Most reactions

Back