mystery fish eggs

sazzap

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some help identifying siome fish eggs that have appeared in my aquarium.

I have goldfish which were taken from the garden pond as babies, and several guppies.
Also one very small fish that is orange, but not a goldfish.
I also used to have one siamese fighting fish but it was taken out about two or three months ago.

The "eggs" are clear and look a little like a blob of jelly, and they are from a few millimeters to half a centimeter long, one is stuck to a rock and the others to the bottom of a plant. they have little dots in them that look a little like air bubbles, and one has very faintly amber coloured dots in it. The dots are less than a millimeter big.

I have no experience at all when it comes to fish or eggs really, the aquarium was given to us so i would be really greatful for an advice about these "eggs".

I'm slightly confused because i looked up goldfish eggs and these "eggs" in my aquarium do not look like goldfish eggs as thay are too big. Also guppies don't lay eggs, so i havn't a clue what they are... :unsure: help :S

Hi sazzap :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Do you have any snails in your tank? :unsure: What you are describing sounds like snail eggs. If you have any plants in there, you may have had snails or their eggs come in on them. :D

well the thing is i didn't introduce any snails to the aquarium. The plant that has the eggs on did come from a fish shop but i didnt notice the eggs then. Also how big do the snails have to be to lay eggs because i cleaned the whole tank out today and i didn't find any snails.

Also the rock that has the biggest egg on it came from my garden and has beeen in the tank for months, so there is no way it could have come in on the rock.

Do the eggs sound liek they are fertelised? I have taken them out and put them in a seperate container, so should they hatch any time soon if they ARE snail eggs?

Thanks for your help, really appreciated ;)

the plant that has the eggs was bought overtwo months ago. Do you think that the snail eggs should have hatched by now if they came with the plant?

They could have been on the plant when it was bought. Maybe they are unfertalised and so have jsut stayed that way?

But the egg on the rock definately did not come from when the rock was put in. And it is firmly stuck so i don't think the egg could have drifted onto it form the plant. :blink:

it's a bit confusing.

(also on the top leftt hand corner of this page there is a picture with a little fish. That is the other fish that i mentioned is in thw aquarium. What is it called...? )

Most reactions

Back