Mystery Bolivian ram illness

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Will definitely look into doing that once my CO2 stabilizes a bit. I had 6 and one died while moving 2 months ago. He was already kind of weak and frequently had swim bladder and health issues on and off. Since I added the 2 there was some fin nipping among them for a few days, then it stopped when they got settled in. The Bolivians don’t have torn fins though, are there any other signs of aggression from the tetras I should look for?
Chasing and nipping don't always cause torn fins, but the stress it produces will cause the fading colors

Could just have been that CO2 overdose, though....as you say, keep an eye on things

Chasing and nipping don't always cause torn fins, but the stress it produces will cause the fading colors

Could just have been that CO2 overdose, though....as you say, keep an eye on things
Yeah to me it seems like the CO2, the colors were fairly bright before I added it this week. I also wanted to thank you so much for your help, and everyone else here! Y’all have been great!

It is possible the CO2 is problematic here. I have no info on your situation regarding the CO2, so any comments have to be very general. CO2 can easily poison fish. It should only be run during the same period as the tank lighting (which replicates the "daylight") and never at other times. But this is now known to be unsafe. There is more CO2 in most aquaria than many realize, and usually enough to balance the light and other nutrients for the benefit of the plants while not being detrimental to fish. In high tech tanks, CO2 is probably needed because of the light intensity and the other nutrients being added daily. But such tanks do not usually have many, if any, fish. CO2 is basically toxic to livestock.

My tanks are all planted, and I use no CO2. Even so, CO2 increases and oxygen lessens during the night, and in the early morning this is obvious from the respiration rate of the fishes. Good surface disturbance 24/7 eliminates this.

Very good info from @Byron above.

I too have planted tanks, easy-to-grow plants, nothing fancy or complicated, and would never even consider a CO2 system...my tanks won't win any awards flora-wise, but that's OK, lol

IMO, the risk with CO2 injection, and all that can go wrong with me not constantly monitoring it, is too great to my fish...they are my primary concern, not my plants

As for as the serpae tetras....adding more may or may not solve the chasing/nipping issue among themselves, but it's worth a shot, IMO....any chance of rehoming them?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back