mysterious deaths / abductions

by quite decent i mean bigger than you would probably assume for a globe
at its widest point it is almost 18" wide
the water level is a few inches above the widest point
i did work out the surface area at approx .. actually cant remember now, but i know i worke dout it would mean over 30cm of fish, i think biorb themselves recommend 38cm for tropicals and i was just below them
obviously less water (above half anyway) = greater surface

the air tube is about an inch or two below the surface so we get a nice amount of surface agitation, the filter works well enough to suck up lots of platty fry which sadly is what happened.

also any uneaten blood worms quickly end up in there too

Hi andyt_uk :)

I can't tell from the picture, but, does your frog have webbing between his fingers, or are his fingers each separate and pointy? :unsure:

4 fingers and 5 toes are all webbed
eyes to the side of head
no tigers left tonight
1 missing
2 dead - one had no tail!
that makes 6 bodies and 6 awol\mia
nitrates are high today
36hrs ago they were zero
i do rather suspect they are high due to the dead fish and not the other way round - this has been going on over few weeks and this is first time water hasnt been perfect.

andyt_uk said:
4 fingers and 5 toes are all webbed
eyes to the side of head

You have an African Dwarf Frog, for sure! :nod: There's no doubt about it.

But I still don't think he could harm a fish the size of yours. Either frog has to swallow its food whole. They don't kill it and rip it apart, they swallow it live. If the frog can't fit in its mouth, it can't eat it, so it won't kill it.

So, the frog can't be the answer to your missing fish. Do you think the fish could be dying and the other fish eating them? :unsure: This is more reasonable.

i guess that is reasonable
and knowing the tigers the less of them there are the more nippy they will become.
suppose small remains may decompose creating the nitrate spike?
which may have finished the last ones of.
gonna have to restock once the water is ok again.
what shall i try next?

Well, I wouldn't but twelve tiger barbs in a 7.5 gallon tank again. :/ That was WAY over stocked...sorry. I think a betta and three cories would be a nice idea. :)

yeah
thanks
but for the size they were the tank was more than adequate
i never have any intentions of keeping a dozen adults in that bowl

Andy,

I'd be tempted to keep cherry barbs in there. Think they're smashing fish and don't get too big. Go for 1 male and 2/3 females for best colours etc....

Cheers
Andy

Since you already have an ADF in there, why not get another one to keep it company? You could also add a betta for the top, or a few corys. I think they would all get along well.

BTW, here's a link to a thread I started that has some frog links and comments by members:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=18252

I think you might find it interesting. :D

Most reactions

Back