My Tropical Tank Has White Spot What To Do About The Shrimps!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emmajt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Help :( I have taken my 3 yamato shrimps out of the tank that has been treated with interpret anti white spot. How do I treat my shrimps seperate?

Instead of taking the shrimp out, just get Kordon Ich Attack. Its organic, so its safe for shrimp.

Not 100% sure if shrimps actually carry whitespot (ich) but if you transferred any water with the shrimps there will be ich spores in the water,I had the same problem 6 months ago with shrimps in the tank, I used Esha Exit ,cured the ich and didnt harm the shrimps,if you havnt already done it turn up the temp to accelerate the spore cycle

When I had whitespot (well, my tank did!) I couldn't catch my amano (aka yamato) shrimps so they had to take their chances. I use King British Original Formula WS3 at half dose because I have loaches. The shrimps went into hiding for the duration of the treatment but they survived.

If you've already removed them you don't need to treat the shrimps. The parasite won't attack them, only fish. But there could have been some of stage 2 (the cyst on the bottom of the tank stage) that got transfered with the shrimps. All you need to do is wait until all of those possible stage 2 parasites have moved into the free swimming stage 3 and died without a fish to attach to then it'll be safe to put the shrimps back. It's going to take several days to treat the main tank, then a few more to remove the medication with carbon, so by the end of all that it should be safe to put the shrimps back in.
This is what I did with my snails, which were a lot easier to catch than the shrimps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back