My Tank Cycle Process

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

loveforfhishies

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i put water in my tank wensday, i put a zebra danio in the same day about 5 hours later i ran my first chemical test tonight after cycling 27 hours.

using a tetratest laborett master kit i got these results so far.

ammonia, 0 mg/l

Nitrite, <0.3 mg/l

how does it look like the cycle is going so far, how often should i continue to test and what else should i be testing?

I don't know if much would show up after 5 hours. The parameters you posted (ammonia, nitrite) are the important ones for cycling. It may be good to do a quick check of your tank's pH, as pH < 6 will hinder cycling.

Test ammonia and nitrite daily for now. Daily water changes as well, to keep the toxicity down.

Good luck with your cycling! Let us know how it goes.

i checked my pH and its between 8.5 and 9.0 :crazy:

probly not good, how can i help the pH level for my tank cycle?

i checked my pH and its between 8.5 and 9.0 :crazy:

probly not good, how can i help the pH level for my tank cycle?

As far as I know, pH and cycling are unconnected. Cycling takes days and weeks - not hours!

Regarding the pH, if it's that high it is quite alkaline (basic). Test your tap water to see if it's coming from there - it probably is. Iwouldn't recommend you do very much though. Adding chemicals is not something I like to do. Ibelieve that adding bogwood to your tank can sometimes help to lower the pH.

Irf.

Ignore pH whist cycling. It will go up and down like a yo-yo....

I'm with Irf - wise advice - don't muck about with pH.

so if i havent had any chemical change in my tank yet, is there a need to do water changes?

If you are cycling with fish, you must do water changes as normal. They are normally done weekly by most people, but you can use your water testing results to dictate the frequency. For example, while you are testing for ammonia and/or nitrite, why not test for nitrate as well? The water changes are done primarily to reduce the stress on the fish caused by these toxins in the water. Therefore if the figures get high, do a water change.

Irf.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back