My Stocking

Lace

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
119
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if my tank is fully stocked now. I have played with the community creator on Thinkfish and it seems to tell me I can add a lot more than what I thought...

Anyhow, the tank is 5 foot, 380 Litres and is occupied by -
2 L182 plecs
5 red rainbows
4 bosemani rainbows
5 banded rainbows (I think, need an ID)
4 blue rainbows
6 pearl danios
2 Ellioti cichlids
4 clown loach
6 Platys
4 female guppys

Thanks in advance

Lace
 
I think a nice shoal of pineapple swordtails would look fantastic in that aquarium. Maybe 10 or so.
 
man all those rainbows must look amazing!!!! if the tank is the one in your sig it looks absolutely stunning!! Can we have a big pic? Off for a play on think fish not seen that before :)
 
Thanks, the rainbows actually look pretty plain at the minute they are all still young. I have read it will take a year for them to colour up properly, so really looking forward to it. The tank is the one in my sig, not got many good pics at the minute and still looking for more wood..... got a certain piece I want in mine but can't find it in the shops yet lol
 
Any ideas? or does it depend on the filtration?
 
wow just realised which plecs they are! gorgeous!

with the stocking im trying to work out just the sizes of the adults and then basing it around the inch per gallon rule which I know is flawed but is usually a pretty good indicator of basic stocking - allowing for sub adult clown loaches (approx 6inch each though like I say this is a sub adult but after 6 inches it is generally agreed they are slow slow growers to reach the max of 12-19inches) so with all that in mind I worked out you have a potential of 126 inches of fish in a 100US gallon tank or at full size of the clowns 150 inches. On top of this you have 2 plecs 2 medium sized cichlids and the clowns which will all produce more mess that that rule goes by because of the bulk of their body so I would say your at your top end of the stocking capability of the tank, what kind of filtration are you running in there? Going to guess by the blue pipes its a Rena :P. Also you may have to rehome a few of the fish as they reach adulthood possibly one of the schools of rainbows because they are pretty big medium fish and are boosting your stock list up a lot.

p.s just realised we are from the same part of the world :P
 
Ok all that maths just gave me a headache lol, joking thanks for that although I may need to re read it!! The Filters are actually 2 x Aqua one CF 1200, although I have a spare rena filstar XP4 filter in the shed if I need it :D

The platys and guppies will not be replaced when they leave this world as they seem to cause more problems than anything else in my tank.

Where abouts in East Yorkshire are u?, I too didn't notice that until you pointed it out :D

Thanks Lace
 
Your stocking is fine inch per gallon rule is a guideline for beginners stocking a new tank. As you become more experienced and your tank becomes well established having 1.5" per gallon won't really matter.
 
I'd say the stocking is pretty complete tbh, Once they are grown you will have a lot of fish that are around 5" or more and obviously these will take up quite a bit of space
 
Ok thanks for all the replies. I thought it was pretty much fully stocked, but the thinkfish community creator puzzled me a little. Now its time for me to get the tank decorations looking right.

Thanks all

Lace
 
That community calculator is rubbish, they complained about me not having 5 corydoras when I have 4 but didn't complain about the 4 khuli loaches when they should be kept in shoals. They counted shrimp (with a very limited selection) as 1 cm each when they hardly affect the bio load. There information is quite inaccurate on the few fish profiles I scanneed through.
 
Ahhh so totally rubbish then, i'm glad I didn't carry on stocking - although I really would have liked some corys. I thought I'd found a fantastic tool, typical lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top