My son's fish not doing so well

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hi, I decided to euthanize :( . He just was not doing well at all and his body was really torn up from the filter. I hope you guys don't think I'm a bad fish owner. I really appreciate all your help, and I'm taking Spencer to the fish store this week to get a ACF, which I know plenty about. :)

I'm so sorry Sorrell. :sad:

Why would anyone think you are a bad fishkeeper? The filter accident was not your fault, and I know you've done all that you could and more to keep Mailbox alive. You've shown genuine compassion in trying to help him. :)

opcn said:
Can you build a pond? Goldfish will really do much better in a pond than in a house (unless it freezes over in which case you may want to bring em inside for the winter).
Fancy goldfish are not suitable for ponds and don't survive in them. Also, as for the tempature, many fancy keepers heat the water a litte because it's beneficial for them and their metabolism.

Sorrell, I am sorry to read what has happened. I think you may have just had bad luck, although the tanks will have been cycling. It takes longer than 2 weeks to establish bacteria in the filter when it's the only filter, never mind alongside. I always takes established media out of a filter and put it in the new one.

Good luk with the ADF

Sorry to hear what happened Sorrel. If the tank was at a high temperature that could mean a depleted oxygen content in the water, making the fish lethargic and constantly needing to rest, but I think you had a air pump in there so thats probably not the cause. :)

Cheese - Fancy Goldfish can be kept outside during summer months as long as they are not kept with other more robust fish that can out compete them for food, you also need to be aware of predators if you keep them outside as they're chances of escaping are alot lower.

Thanks everyone.
I am so scared of cycling and I have good established tanks, so I never have to cycle new ones. I take gravel, plants, and filters that have been on other tanks when I set up new ones, so I don't have to worry about it. I am thinking that the main problem is that we bought these fish at Wal-Mart. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back