My poor little guppy is sick :(

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

abe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a few guppys a few weeks ago, as a pet store was having a bogo sale on all their fish. I had 4, one died the next day but she didnt look too good to begin with... Anyway, now my favorite male has gotten darker in color, and isnt doing too much, just sitting on the gravel. It looks like he's breathing heavy too.

The only test kit I have is for ph, & it's around 6.6-6.8 as usual, all other fish appear to be fine. My betta sometimes chases the boy guppies, but nothing too bad; she just shoos them away & goes back to whatever.

Anyone ever have this happen? any ideas?

& can someone recommend a good peaceful algae eater that doesnt get too big?

Thanks!!!

Hey

I cant really help with the guppy, maybe nitrite or amonia? have you tested those?
i have a bristlenose plec which gets on fine with my fish and they only grow to about 4inches! You could try one of those, mine is only tiny and he keeps the tank really clean! :)

Jess

Ive heard plecs can get big, although Ive never had it happen. I'll see what my lfs has if I make it there today :)

The amonia/nitrate/etc. SHOULD be ok, but I really don't know as I dont have test kits for them. I just did a water change/cleaning & he was just swimming around, but now hes back at the bottom. I hope he'll be ok -_-

Bristlenoses are small, honest!! :) See if they have any today!! They're very cute, a bit shy at first tho :)

I had a similar problem with bettas and guppies (i posted about it in betta forum) and i took my guppies out because my betta was killing them. If your guppy still isn't looking too good tomorrow it may be worth moving him into another tank, mine's doing fine now that hes away from my evil betta!lol

And its definately worth getting some test kits, they're really cheap!!!!

Jess

Most reactions

Back