My platy and/or molly breeding plans

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilmolly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two 2.5 gal tanks and two 10gal tanks. One 10gal in cycling and one 2.5 gal is cycling. I'm useing the 2.5gal for one male molly. I am useing the 10gal for a baby irredecent shark and a platy and the other 10gal for one preg female molly, one chinese algue eater, and one....umm I can't remember the name, but it looks like a stick algue eater. The other 2.5 gal tank has three sick black molliesin it. When everything settles with the sick mollies I'll be moving them to the 10 gal with the other molly and the algue eaters. Today I'm going to move the other male in the 10gal with the algue eaters and the molly.

What my original intent was to breed mollies. Since three of them are preg but two are sick and the male is sick we'll see how that goes. I want to get one male platy for the female in the 10gal with irredecent shark but I think the shark will eat the fry even more then the platies would. Maybe I should just let whatever is going to happen happen otherwise I'll have alot of fish. But if I do end up with to many fish I'll just give them to the lFS and my friends. I already know someone how wants some already. :thumbs: Any suggestion would be nice.

Breeding mollies is so simple. As long as you have a male and female, you cant prevent pregnancy. However, since you say some are sick, that is bad. Male mollies will not mate while they are sick so you may consider getting a new hubby for the healthy gal. The shark will prove a problem though, there will be no fry in a week is my guessw, see if the mollies can be separated. If you leavfe the fry with just the adults, that is good, after having fry near them for 2 weeks, the adult mollies will ignore the fry and never again will they eat fry.(at least this happened to me)

Hope it works out fine and good luck! ;)

With my platies I've never had a problem with them eating their own fry. Every couple of months they have more fry and now there is just a constant supply of fry and I'm going to talk to my lfs tomorrow to find out if they'll take the ones I cant keep. Do platies usually have problems with eating their fry? My mom and dad platies always look after them from my danios when they try to chase them around.
-Josh

Most reactions

Back