My Planted 5 Gallon - Comments And Help Welcomed! :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

annaw123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Havent been on the forum in an AGE, but have now moved to uni and got a 25litre tank ... having had to leave behind my 100litre bowfront :'(

Anyway, I've just planted it and am fairly happy ... for now!! So I STILL havent decided what to stock it with! Help :)

Attachments

• 20131019_164132_resized.jpg
    20131019_164132_resized.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 130
it looks beautiful, love small planted tanks so much! i believe neon tetras need more space than 5 gallons but they would give the tank a beautiful finish touch. but you could always get a betta

Aw thanks, it's not much yet but will develop as my funds develop haha! :p
Yeah I think I read that it is too small for neons ... I want a betta but am a bit worried that he would die :( I get attatched! :p Are they particularly sensitive?  Also he'd need to travel home with me at Christmas for an hour in the car ... think he would be ok as long as i kept the car nice and warm? x

Is that an Echinodorus there in the front?

Tek oot.

I think so ... I'm no plant expert though! I chose what I thought was pretty :3 haha
Tek, what would you put in this tank if it was up to you? I saw the thread on nano stocking but would love to know other people's personal stocking ideas, and also how many of those nano fish I could put in :) 
Thanks!

I would say betta are considered to be a an extremely hardy fish!

Yes I have just done some more research and apparently they are really very hardy indeed. I would just be concerned because they're so beautiful, I know I'd get really attatched to him and be very sad if he died! x

Bettas are extremely hardy!! As long as you keep his water clean and warm, cycle his tank and do regular changes, you should have him for quite awhile. :) 

Thanks Gizaroo2! I had issues before with the tank uncycling or mini cycling ... once I have maybe some ember tetras (?) Set up in there fine for a few weeks I will feel brave enough to get him! How regular and what volume water changes? :)

Read the link in my signature and you shouldn't have any problems with cycling :)

Your tank looks really nice! Nicely aquascaped :good:

How often and how much? Weekly and about 50% (could do less, but with these small tanks I don't see a reason why not to do 50%).

IMO, a school of 6-7 dwarf or mosquito rasboras would look quite nice.

Just that some echinos can grow big, REAL big.

Tek oot.

TekFish - uhoh! :p Well if it gets huge I shall have to take it home with me at xmas for my big bowfront :D 

Blondielovesfish - Thanks for the info! Would you have JUST the rasboras in there? :) 

Also guys, I work at a hospital and consequently am not home during the day fairly frequently as I have to stay overnight - this will make cycling pretty difficult with the whole ammonia thing?
For my other tank I used Seachem Stability which seemed to work really well ... views? x

annaw123 said:
Blondielovesfish - Thanks for the info! Would you have JUST the rasboras in there?
smile.png

Yup
Unfortunately, your tank isn't big enough to have any other fish :/ 
IMO, it would look more effective with just the rasboras too :)

I've now ended up with a tank somewhere in the region of 40 litres :) yay!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back