my pelcos weird

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
okay I am a bit corny....I know that but my pelco, terry is his name, does something that I have never seen before. when he is doing his thing swiming around sucking on the glass alot of times he will stick his whole head out of the water. but I have also seen him swim like a rocket straight to the top take a breath of air then as he goes down to the bottom let out air bubbles. is he normal?

if my plec's did not zoom up to take a breath of air a nd poke his head up i would be worried! they breathe air like you and me unlike normal fish who take air through the water. cory's do the same. how old or big is ur plec and what kind you got?

juan,
LOLOL
yeap this is common for some plecos. I got a few that do the same thing only they sit there and wait for there food. Lazy fish. got them so spoiled they barely eat the greens on glass or plants. they prefer there waffers.

Now did you knwo that: plecos need greens to be healthy.? if they lack there greens they will / can loose there dumbells / whiskers. Yes ! they can.

but overall this is normal, they do shoot across the tank and pop up at the top like a torpedo. At least mine do.... But again they do so and then sit at the top with tyhere lips puckered out of the water like: Feed me, Feed me.
LOLOL

Danny

I have two pelcos terry is about 8 months and at about 8 inches long his cousin berry is only about 6 months and about 6 inches can't say what kind they are they are the common ones that you see at your lfs

If you can get a pic and post i am sure we could let you know! if not then i could post a link for DATZ L numbers and then u coul dlook there to se what you have.

Yep, all perfectly normal.
They will lounge about in the most unusual places - my Plecos favourite place is upside down on a piece of driftwood in my tank !
Hence his name : Michaelangelo ( after the kids TV character who always sat on the ceiling ) !!!!!

hey cry the link would probably be better cause my camera makes these god awfully big pics and I havn't figured out how to resize them yet

ok heres the datz link ( they are better tahn aqualog as they are more uptodate) just hit the link below

DATZ

i have the L270 ( which is now L307) thats why the link is on that page, just use next or use the L number list at top to search most have pics if you cant find it there let me know what is similar and i look for ya if you want!

juanveldez said:
hey cry the link would probably be better cause my camera makes these god awfully big pics and I havn't figured out how to resize them yet
juan, if you make a post even with a huge picture one of the moderators will be able to resize it for you and it'll be ok in no time if you want :) for most image editing programs you simply goto: the image bar on the top eg to the right of file and then there should be under that something like "image size" or in paint it is "stretch"

Good luck and I hope you find out your fish :) :thumbs:

yeah you can post it and someone will resize it or you can email to one of us and we resize it for ya!

okay I went to the link that you gave me cry mine look closest to L275 only that one doesn't have orange dots and mine do

I heard somewhere that Plecos take in air from the surface in the early evening to help them swim in weird positions...must make them float easier or something...like a ballast control! Mine will hit the glass lid occasionally when they surface.

Plec breathe air like you and me same as corydoras air breather, they do not breathe through water like normal fish do, so if you keep cory's or even plec's then please for thier sake leave space for them to breathe. Do not under any circumstances fill the tank rite up to the sliding cover of the glass, leave at least an inch of air space. So it may not look nice, well if you dont like it then dont keep them. and as for ballast control you heard that somewhere, i find that insulting, read before you get a plec, if you did then you would know! sorry if i insult anyone it is not my intention to do so.( but ignorant fish keepers get up my tree! ( that is my opinion and my opinion only))
i have kept plec's for almost 10 years. cory's even longer. so i do know a thing or two about their habit's, etc

once again i apologise if my words are strong, those in the forum know i do not blow off stream often.......

Juanveldez i will glady look around and find you a name and an L number for your plec.

I really don't have that problem because it is so dry up here in the UP that bout a day after I add water it is already an inch below the top

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back