My Pearl Gouramis are terrified of me

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

would love to hide the heater

I'd also like to figure out a way to fill in that open area below the filter return.
Have you thought about a black background? You may not be able to hide or fill these areas but you could certainly disguise them?
the light being off during the session helps with that.
How on earth are you able to see what you're doing with the light off? I can just about manage with the light on! 😂

20240121_092141.jpg

I have background lighting which I haven't been turning on due to the gourami drama lol. I did consider going with a black background but I found it didn't compliment this scape. The previous scape was much darker, black background, dark substrate, I bet the gouramis would have been much happier in that one.

You could always trial it to see if it makes a difference to the gouramis behaviour? Sometimes we have to just take it on the chin, not ideal or our original plan but if it's best for the fish then so be it...

If you bring your heater near the input of your filter. 1) it will be more effective at heating the water. 2) The temperature in your filter will be a little higher and help with bacteria multiplication. 3) it will avoid the heated water to come up and trigger the thermostat too soon. 4) The temperature of you tank will be more even. 5) It will be nearly hidden.

I'm not fond of black background, but something like dark rocks would be cool and make your plants come out great in front of it.

ScreenShot00142.jpg

I have a lot to consider. I may even go as far as a full redo. But for now I'm just trying to keep the lighting subdued and not approach the tank too quickly. Things do seem a little calmer this morning.

+1 to a black background; something as simple as black posterboard, cut to size, clipped or taped to the back glass

Easy and cheap to give it a try, anyway

Very nice tank...how often and how large do you perform water changes?

I have a roll of black window film I can use. I originally put that on but It didn't work. The tank looked small, like it was cut in half. I always install my backgrounds before putting the tank in place. If it was a small tank, no big deal, but trying on such a large tank without emptying it would be nearly impossible.

I have a roll of black window film I can use. I originally put that on but It didn't work. The tank looked small, like it was cut in half. I always install my backgrounds before putting the tank in place. If it was a small tank, no big deal, but trying on such a large tank without emptying it would be nearly impossible.
I would try it again, as long as it is opaque

I went the expensive route and got a piece of black acrylic cut bespoke for my tanks dimensions and just taped it to the back...but you could just do it with card or something, just to trial it

As far as water changes: Weekly, usually 30-40%. Sometimes I have to go longer, 2 weeks max if life gets in the way, then I will up the amount to around 50%. I remove any dead leaves and floaties. Last change was this past Thursday.

I found pearl gouramis to be really skittish as well. They were in a heavily planted tank with moderate foot-traffic nearby, but they never really looked comfortable. They only lived about 2 years, sadly. I haven't been brave enough to try them again. I hope you figure things out and have better luck than I did. 🤞

Could it be that they think you're somone else? i.e do you have any kids or anything that may scare the fish by tapping on glass etc and they skitter off when they see someone coming? And they wouldn't get spooked by maintenance because they know it's you. Or (not knowing the tank stocking, this could be very inaccurate) are there any other fish in the tank that could be stressing them out? Not as likely though since it only happens when you come close.

Hi. No it's just myself and my wife. I'm really the only one that touches or spends any length of time around it. In fact, I just sat in the dark watching the tank for a good 20min. The gouramis stayed for the most part in the back, amongst the plants. I threw some bug bites in to see if I could coax them out. They have absolutely no fear coming out for food even while I'm standing there. Same in the mornings, theyre at the front, waiting. I don't think it's me they're scared of. I do have a group of 7 chunky candycane tetras that are rather rambunctious, while not directly bothering the gouramis, they do constantly chase each other around. So this is a strong possibility.

Other stocking beside candycanes:
5 Empire gudgeons (2 male, 3 female)
5 Electric blue stiphodon gobies.
9 Marble hatchet fish
7 Glass catfish
1 female apistogramma (Unknown species)
4 Cardinal tetras (these are very old, down from 12)
8 or 9 Corydoras catfish (Bronze and Sterbai)
1 Royal Farlowella
1 Clown Pleco.
5 or 6 Dwarf chain loaches.
10 Amano shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back