My Pearl Gouramis are terrified of me

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishonbikes

Reaction score
Hello Tropical Fish Forums! Long time hobbyist but always learning! So, I have 3 female pearl gouramis in a relatively heavily planted 75 gal community tank. I had a male with them but he died a few months ago. Everything seemed fine until recently. Nearly every time I approach the tank, if they are out, one or all of them freak out, often times smashing about the tank. Afterwards they will hide in the plants or behind the scape or equipment until they calm down. They seem to only act normal in the morning when it's feeding time. Im nervous to approach the tank worried they will injure themselves or the other fish thrashing about. Any thoughts as to why their demeanor has changed so drastically? Thank you ahead of time!

Hi, and welcome to the forum !

A picture of your setup would give a thousand words. They like "top" cover and dimmed light.

Fishes release pheromones perceptible by other members of the same species and cause rapid changes in their endocrine system... some have revealed to be extremely potent and are often caused by stressful events.

This Panic signal emitted in large quantities in small tanks will cause your fish to be always on high alert.

Sometimes activated carbon can be useful, other... Water changes is the only solution.

If your tank is located in a very calm part of your house... You must slowly get your fishes used to your presence. and avoid the panic episodes as much as possible.

Gouramies are really shy by nature and can literally get stressed to death.

Put some cover and get another male as soon as possible.

20240120_150728.jpg

Here's my 75gal. It may be hard to see but there is a large amount of floating plants. The jungle val also creates a flowing canopy over the surface. I did make somw changes to the plant stockings in removing a large, leggy portion of Ludwigia from the center of the tank. It kind of took over and looked unsightly. Ive also turned down the intensity of the lights as well as no longer turning on the background lights in hopes this will reduce the stress of the gouramis.

Thanks for the replies folks! The tank sits in the center of my house. It's in an area we have to pass through to get to any room in the house. The fish should be used to movement outside of the tank. Im intrigued by the pheromone suggestion.

Beautiful setup ! 😍 it !

It still looks bright on the pictures. I know that most of the time brightness and contrast are not very revealing on a picture shown on my crappy laptop. loll.

I had Powder Blues for many years. and every time they where getting too nervous for a prolonged time a "for no apparent reason" water change would calm thing down instantly...

Since it's the only "experienced" solid base I can have as reference on that matter. And the saying of an old man and the sea.

I found it to be absolutely true with gouramies. They can smell others fear and get scared too for no reason.

That's called the washing machine syndrome... "You" need medication to make the fishes better.

I have two setups That I would love to improve... I refrain from tempering with them... they work perfectly.

I second just pulling up a pew and plonking yourself in front of that gorgeous tank! I always make a point of spending time every day in front of the fish, they get used to your presence very quickly that way. Even armpit deep (I'm short 😅) moving or cleaning things inside the tank the fish are just doing their thing or coming to investigate what I'm up to.

I'm so thankful everyone likes my tank.😊 As I mentioned, it's always a work in progress. I would love to hide the heater but unfortunately due to the scape and the surface skimmer there is no more room on the right side of the tank. I'd also like to figure out a way to fill in that open area below the filter return. The jungle val tends to get beat up there so it will grow ragged and short.
I do try to look at it as much as possible. My wife laughs at me when she comes down the hall and I'm just sitting there. Funny thing is, they don't freak out when I'm doing maintenance, even elbow deep as mentioned lol. I'm thinking it may be the light being off during the session helps with that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back